Freezing/thawing???

Decorating By PJ0207 Updated 25 Aug 2009 , 3:33am by AngieD300

PJ0207 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PJ0207 Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 3:09pm
post #1 of 8

Hi, when thawing how long does a general 4- 5 inch high 9 inch round cake take to defrost before i can ice it cover it in fondant.

Here is this good. I am going to make my cakes in the morning......let them sit and rest until cooled or longer then wrap them in saran and freeze them overnight. (If i need to have the cake done for the next night wat time should i take them out to defrost them?

And does chocolate ganache have to be whipped before i fill and ice it? (I'm using this recipe- http://www.cakecentral.com/cak.....he-1.html)

thanks icon_biggrin.gif

7 replies
LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 4:28pm
post #2 of 8

Is this a 4-5 inch layer cake? You don't have to freeze the bottom layer. The top layer is (in my case) frozen only to make it easy to place on top without breaking. I'm thinking you might be able to handle a 9 inch without breaking and without freezing.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 4:35pm
post #3 of 8

I don't have an answer about the ganache but as for freezing...I always take it out of the freezer, crumb coat it and then let it defrost for at least two hours before covering with fondant. This seems to work beautifully and since there is a crumb coat on it the cake doesn't get stale.

Cat

PJ0207 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PJ0207 Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 9:55pm
post #4 of 8

thanks, and yes it is a layer cake filled with chocolate ganache. does it make the process any different?

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 10:08pm
post #5 of 8

Sorry, I have no idea. I have no experience with ganache other than for the outside of a cake as the final coat. I'm sure someone here will have the answer tho!

Cat

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 12:52am
post #6 of 8

As the others have said, about an hour should do it. Even if it is not totally defrosted in the center you would not know iticon_smile.gif

If you have time, you can defrost in the frig = if so double the time.

I'm not sure what Little Linda is referring to.....fz just the top layer? For a 9".... I can see it for a 14 or larger layer but a 9" is easily handled.
I take it you are fzing to keep it fresher longer......

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 10:50pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

I'm not sure what Little Linda is referring to.....fz just the top layer? For a 9".... I can see it for a 14 or larger layer but a 9" is easily handled. ......

I said she could probably not have to do it for a nine inch because it probably isn't hard to handle. I put my bottom layer on the cake board fresh, frost just the top (filling), then put the frozen top layer on that so I can lift it easily and move it around if necessary. I don't see a need to freeze both layers ... unless I bake early and want to keep it fresher. Which leads to the next comment:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

I take it you are fzing to keep it fresher longer......

She said she plans to just freeze it overnight.

AngieD300 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngieD300 Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 3:33am
post #8 of 8

Im a totally newbie at all of this, but i have been told so many things about the time from when you actually take the cake out of the oven till the time you put the fondant on. I heard yesterday that you take the cake out, let it cool for an hour, crumb coat it & put it in the freezer...decorate/fondant the next day.
I'm not understanding what the purpose of freezing is...do i need to freeze cake w/or w/out crumb coating? Couldn't i just start decorating/fondant if it's been cooling for over an hour?
So now i'm a little bit more confused about if i freeze it, how long to defrost. i would appreciate any help with this...especially since i have two mini cakes, crumb coated & "chillin" in the freezer as we speak icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%