New To Making Cakes

Decorating By shar26 Updated 22 Aug 2009 , 5:06am by diane

shar26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shar26 Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 1:36pm
post #1 of 8

hello!

i have baked cakes before but never covered them in icing etc.

would someone be able to point me in the right direction of which cake to try first!?

many thanks!

7 replies
tiggerjo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggerjo Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 1:54pm
post #2 of 8

We will need more info....what is the cake for...decorated or not...size???

Williamus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Williamus Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 1:55pm
post #3 of 8

Hi...and welcome! I'm an experienced baker, but new to this site...and I'm sure that there are many wonderful recipies on the site that I'm not aware of...I have been using a book called "The Cake Bible"...the author's name is Rose Levy Beranbaum...Lots of amazing recipies...you might want to try to get a copy (you could probably find a copy in your local library if you don't want to buy one right off the bat).

I'm sure that many of the site members here can point you to some recipes available on this site...but Happy Baking!

shar26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shar26 Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 2:07pm
post #4 of 8

thank you for your reply!

i will have a look for that book.

i am totally new to cake decorating and i don't know where to start! i am wanting to make a cake and decorate for no particular ocassion - i just want to get started! but want something quite basic.

i have had a look at doing a bow on a cake so i think thats where i may start!

thanks again

Williamus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Williamus Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 8:58pm
post #5 of 8

Just so you know...the Cake Bible really isn't a book on cake decorating it is more a cook book for recipes.

Good luck

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 9:37pm
post #6 of 8

If you live near a craft store, you might like to check out Wilton cake decorating classes. You need to get some supplies in order to decorate. You can find them at craft stores or in the craft section of Wal Mart. You need, certainly a few icing bags, some couplers, at least one writing tip, one star tip, one leaf tip, one petal tip, and some food coloring. The Wilton cake decorating yearbooks available in the same stores, show in the back many techniques and what each kind of tip can do. It also has many recipes. If you go to AC Moore or Michaels or Hobby Lobby, there are usully coupons you can print on line good for 40% off one single item that isn't on sale.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 3:03am
post #7 of 8

Hi and Welcome to CC, shar26. icon_smile.gif

Decoding CC acronyms:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-2926-.html

Everything you need to know to make, decorate and assemble tiered/stacked/layer cakes:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-605188-.html

Above superthread has popular CC recipes for crusting American buttercreams, several types of fondant and doctored cake mix (WASC and other flavor variations) - and so much more!

How to measure flour correctly:

When measuring flour, do you use the "scoop and drag" method and then shake to level.... You should be aerating the flour prior to gently spooning it into the measuring cup and using a straight edge to level.

When I make any of the WASC cake recipes, I sift all the dry ingredients together into a large bowl, and mix all the wet ingredients in a second larger bowl.

Then I add the dry to the wet and beat for 2 mins. using an electric hand mixer at medium speed.

If using a stand mixer, I would mix at the lowest speed for 2 mins. or less.

When it comes to mixing, MORE (as in more speed or longer mixing time) is not BETTER. Overmixing will develop the gluten and result in a tough cake.

CC articles on how to make gumpaste/fondant bows:

http://cakecentral.com/articles/128/how-to-make-a-gumpaste-bow

http://cakecentral.com/articles/77/how-to-make-a-fondant-loop-bow

HTH

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 5:06am
post #8 of 8

i would start with a box mix if you want practice icing, but do not use the store bought stuff...you can make your own. there are a ton of recipes here...good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%