First Wedding Cake Questions

Decorating By jewelzbakescakes Updated 23 Aug 2009 , 3:55pm by idgalpal

jewelzbakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewelzbakescakes Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 7:03am
post #1 of 4

I'm making my first wedding cake next week for a friend (3 tier - 12,10,8, fondant) and I have a couple of questions.
The 12" layer will be styrofoam, we are driving it an hour and a half to the venue.

Should we assemble it when we get there (and travel with 1 layer separate) or assemble it before? There will be 4 wooden dowels in the 10" layer...

Also, the 10" layer will be carrot cake with buttercream (no cream cheese icing since the cake will be sitting out), and the 8" layer will be vanilla and the bride doesn't care what filling goes in it...I was going to use chocolate ganache but I'm afraid of it getting too soft and causing the cake to bulge or slip. Anyone have a suggestion for a yummy and easy filling for vanilla cake?

Thanks a million!!

3 replies
Trixyinaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trixyinaz Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 2:27pm
post #2 of 4

Hi there!

I traveled about 45 minutes with a three tier cake assembled and had no issues whatsoever. make sure your cakes are supported well and be sure to use a center dowel that goes through all your cakes, including the dummy. This will ensure added stability. Also, I would make sure your dummy is secure on the bottom board (glue it down). I use wooden dowels and haven't encountered an issue yet, however, many people have and have switched to the SPS system or something like that.

I also made sure my cake was just out of the fridge (nice and cold and set) before loading it into my car for the journey.

Good luck!

jewelzbakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewelzbakescakes Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 4:07pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks, I actually hadn't thought of putting the center dowel through the foam too!

I won't be able to have it in the fridge since it is fondant though.

Anyone, have a suggestion on a great filling for the vanilla cake?

idgalpal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idgalpal Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 3:55pm
post #4 of 4

I'm also doing a vanilla wedding cake for this weekend with raspberry filling

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%