Do You Take It Personally If Your Pics Are Not 'favorited'?

Decorating By MrsNancyB1 Updated 22 Aug 2009 , 8:27pm by kakedreamer1212

Makeitmemorable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Makeitmemorable Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 12:09pm
post #31 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracey1970

Thanks - but I have to 'fess up. I googled "Disney Princesses" on-line and was directed to a site where those pics came like that, sort of colouring book type pics. I just laid the printed out pic over the fondant, used a pointed fondant tool to "score" the image onto the fondant and painted "fill in the blanks" style. I go back and add the definition stuff like eyelashes later. However, with the rest of the face already done, it's not difficult to place eyebrows, lashes, "pieces" of hair, etc. Even I can do that! (lol)

It worked and who would know, if the end result is the same when it is finished, then it's a great cake - well done ! thumbs_up.gif

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 7:09pm
post #32 of 37

Thanks so much - it just feels like "cheating"!

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 7:32pm
post #33 of 37

Nope, I post them without any expectations, that way if I get a nice comment or it gets on someones favorites I feel great but if not I don't get bummed

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 7:33pm
post #34 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniqueask

I agree, a lot of my cakes are not favorited, at first I was disapointed, but then I see way more talent on here than mine and sometimes way less, I have not made cakes in a very long time I have to get back into the swing of things, even today my youngest daughter was looking at my pictures, to see which got the most and less views and most and no faves, I told her I will be removing them soon and replacing them with better ones

Oh! Please don't do that!!! If you delete your pictures, you erase your journey! So often, people ask to see pictures of how far one has come in their caking journey. It's wonderful to go back, pull out what you think is awful and post it. Then, someone comes along and says, "Are you crazy?! That cake is wonderful!" So you see, even though we are our own worst critics, it can always be inspiration to someone else.

And to the OP... have heart. Some of mine sat for a year or two without comments or favorites. Then, someone cruising the galleries would pick it out and comment or save it to favs. That's when it tickles me. Otherwise, I know from being a Gallery Supporter how many cakes come pouring in that don't get seen by the masses. I came across one the other day that was so precious --I don't know how it got missed!

And Tracey, I know exactly what you mean... it's funny to see the ones we considered not much effort shoot to the top, when others (the ones we poured ourselves into) go by without much of a reaction.

All-in-all though, I stick them out there not for the comments or the favs (although they are nice and I always consider them an honor) but for the possibility that someone might receive inspiration from it in some way and that it might help them figure out how they want to proceed on their project.

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 7:51pm
post #35 of 37

It feels good to get nice comments and have my photos saved by someone, but what is really nice is that I have my cake from my first Wilton class posted and I can take a look and see how far I've come in the last 4 years. I have definitely improved on my corners! I still have alot of learning ahead of me. Thank goodness for cake central. It has been my best teacher! (Aside from Aine2, Sugarshack and JenniferMI and many, many others!).

donkeemom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
donkeemom Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 8:13pm
post #36 of 37

Very often you may not see any comments or fav saves the first day you post your photo. But then over time people run across it in searches for a specific cake theme and then out of the blue you get responses.

It is always nice to have your hard work noticed, but the most important is that the recipient of the cake is thrilled. And that you are happy and you should be, because you do great work.

kakedreamer1212 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakedreamer1212 Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 8:27pm
post #37 of 37

I understand where your comming from but like so many others here, I've gotten use to it. It also made me feel better when I looked up the pictures of some of the best I've seen on here (in my opinion of course) and not all of their pics. have been saved as someones fav. Like the others, I choose favs. for different reasons, some blow me away, others I save because I liked a certain thing on the cake or I have a cake comming up in the same theme and am looking for different ideas. I've saved cakes that really didnt wow me but maybe I really loved the bow for example and want to refer back to it. On the other hand I've seen cakes that were very pretty and said to myself " ohhh, thats really cute" but didnt add to my favs. It is really nice when someone adds your cake to their favs but I've learned not to take it personal because at the time I'm making it, its to impress one person, the customer. If your customer is wowed by the cake you made them, the cake is a definate winner every time, reguardless of whether or not anyone else added it to their favs.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%