Do You Take It Personally If Your Pics Are Not 'favorited'?

Decorating By MrsNancyB1 Updated 22 Aug 2009 , 8:27pm by kakedreamer1212

MrsNancyB1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNancyB1 Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 12:16am
post #1 of 37

I'm only a beginner, and I know that my work is FAR from perfect. However, when I do post pics, if I notice that a pic of mine is favorited it brings a huge smile to my face. Just knowing that someone liked something I made enough to put it in their favorites to reference it for later is a huge boost for me.

Conversely if I post a pic and nobody favorites it, I wonder if the pic I posted is not a good one. I wonder if that particular creation is not good enough, and that's why it's not favorited. Then, I start questioning my own skills. icon_redface.gif It's almost like I can't be content with my own skills, but rather I need validation from other CCers.

Just curious if others feel the same way when their pics aren't favorited.

icon_smile.gif

36 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 12:23am
post #2 of 37

Not at all..Everyone likes different cakes for different reasons!! I don't get offended but I have been doing this along time so you get used to it.

BakeLoveMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakeLoveMom Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 12:25am
post #3 of 37

I looked at your pics and I think your talent is definatley there, so don't take it personally if they don't get favorited. I usually only add favorites if I want to make something similar in the near future. There are lots of beautiful cakes and items out there, when I am looking for something particular that is when I search and save. HTH

Sarah

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 12:31am
post #4 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

Not at all..Everyone likes difefrent cakes for different reasons!! I don't get offended but I have been doing this along time so you get used to it.

I agree, a lot of my cakes are not favorited, at first I was disapointed, but then I see way more talent on here than mine and sometimes way less, I have not made cakes in a very long time I have to get back into the swing of things, even today my youngest daughter was looking at my pictures, to see which got the most and less views and most and no faves, I told her I will be removing them soon and replacing them with better ones

Your cakes are great by the way I loved the birthday topper you made for your daughter that one went to my faves

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 12:33am
post #5 of 37

Not really. I would love for all of my pics to be favorited, but sometimes people favorite for different reasons.

Sometimes it is just for instructional value, like they explained how they pinned on their ribbon even when the cake is not so sensational.

I like to have a few views, if not a lot...but even a lot of views doesn't guarantee they will favorite your cake!

Did the people you made the cake for like it? Did it taste good and did they tell you so? I love that. (to borrow a phrase from my Zizzle).

nfanel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nfanel Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 12:36am
post #6 of 37

i have to admit, i do the same thing! i've gotten used to it and know that i usually favorite cakes i want to imitate, but i still get really excited when i see someone's favorited my cake! icon_smile.gif

woodruffbn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woodruffbn Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 12:44am
post #7 of 37

First off let me say that you do awesome work!! But, you only had one cake on there and the rest were figures and flowers. I personally have never favorited a flower or figure. So, maybe thats part of the problem! I wouldn't take it personal. You are an awesome artist!

CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 12:44am
post #8 of 37

Exactly! I see great cakes everyday that I don't favorite. I only favorite cakes I think I think I might get the opportunity to replicate one day, or a new technique is displayed that I'd like to try. It might not be the best cake for that particular theme, but it's an idea to spring board off of. There might be one little aspect of it that I like & the rest of it is so-so.
There are exquisite cakes with cascading roses & Lambeth stringwork & stacked to the ceiling. I don't have any in my favorites however, cause it's doubtful I'll ever make one of those (or have the talent!)

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 1:00am
post #9 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeMakar

Exactly! I see great cakes everyday that I don't favorite. I only favorite cakes I think I think I might get the opportunity to replicate one day, or a new technique is displayed that I'd like to try. It might not be the best cake for that particular theme, but it's an idea to spring board off of. There might be one little aspect of it that I like & the rest of it is so-so.
There are exquisite cakes with cascading roses & Lambeth stringwork & stacked to the ceiling. I don't have any in my favorites however, cause it's doubtful I'll ever make one of those (or have the talent!)

^^What CakeMakar said!

jclvs2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jclvs2 Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 1:05am
post #10 of 37

I have to say also that it makes me happy that someone has favorited one of my photos too. I only have a few myself. But I have to tell you I just love that little girl you made out of gumpaste!!! She is so-o-o-o sweet!!! And what a great job for your first time. I just made my first fondant figures not to long ago for a baby shower. Keep up the great work and stay encouraged!!! thumbs_up.gif

snocilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snocilla Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 1:30am
post #11 of 37

I don't get discouraged if my cakes aren't favorited, but I get sooo excited when someone does put my cake in their favorites! Maybe that's part of being somewhat new to cake decorating...

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 1:53am
post #12 of 37

I don't worry about it. I know that most people favorite things that they want to try, and the things that I make aren't things that most people want to make.

I do belong to an art website and I get lots of favorites there...it's mostly a website of other forms of art and non-cakers are more likely to favorite my stuff.

CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 1:55am
post #13 of 37

If you'd like a non-cake place to post your art: deviantart.com

Texas_Rose Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 2:00am
post #14 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeMakar

If you'd like a non-cake place to post your art: deviantart.com

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif I've belonged there for years. I used to do graphics stuff before cake took all my creative attention.

Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 2:09am
post #15 of 37

Nope....I don't take it personally if a cake is not put into someone's favs because I know that my decorating is just mediocre at this stage...especially compared to most of the cakes I see on this website.

I am usually floored and always honored when someone DOES put one of my cakes, cookies, or cuppies in their favs.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 2:24am
post #16 of 37

No, I don't stress over my cake pictures at all, and I do not understand why anyone does.

Positive feedback is always great, and totally appreciated, but if people don't get my vision, or if they don't have time to comment or fave my pics, that's cool with me. No hate here. Thanks for looking, ya know?

Theresa icon_smile.gif

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 2:30am
post #17 of 37

I don't care either. My cakes aren't of the calibre of most of the ones I see on here, so I don't expect to get favourited a lot. What always makes me giggle is the ones that get favourited that I wouldn't think would be, and then I post pics that I am really happy with, and they don't. My two "biggest effort cakes" (Disney Princess and my DD's jungle birthday cake) haven't got hardly any attention, and some of my simpler cakes have. To each his/her own!

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 2:37am
post #18 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracey1970

I don't care either. My cakes aren't of the calibre of most of the ones I see on here, so I don't expect to get favourited a lot.

Don't discount yourself like that. Just because you feel you are not of the calibre of cakes seen here, doesn't mean that you don't have a special kind of vision - it just means that your skills are not practiced enough to execute the vision yet. That takes time, practice, and patience. Life doesn't always offer us those traits when we want them, so relax.

You would be surprised to see what I have in my faves - there are two totally rookie cakes in there, ideas that can be taken to a next level and turned into superb work. One is because of a color combination, the other is the design itself. Who knows, maybe some day I'll see a newer version by the same person, or re-visit that vision myself, and turn it into something that will be special to me.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

MrsNancyB1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNancyB1 Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 2:41am
post #19 of 37

Thanks everyone for the replies. I'm especially thankful to those of you who posted encouragement to my beginner work. Thank you. icon_smile.gif

I really shouldn't take it personally. I know that I still need a lot of practice and patience to really perfect my skills, and hopefully take it to the next level.

This place has been GREAT for getting feedback and encouragement, and that's what should be important to me right now.

Thanks again! icon_smile.gif

Texas_Rose Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 2:46am
post #20 of 37
Quote:

I don't care either. My cakes aren't of the calibre of most of the ones I see on here, so I don't expect to get favourited a lot. What always makes me giggle is the ones that get favourited that I wouldn't think would be, and then I post pics that I am really happy with, and they don't. My two "biggest effort cakes" (Disney Princess and my DD's jungle birthday cake) haven't got hardly any attention, and some of my simpler cakes have. To each his/her own!

I like your work. Your cakes look a lot neater when you see the big picture than they do from the little preview squares...like a book with a plain cover and a great story inside. You've got lots of detail and some really artistic use of color.

The reason that the Disney princess cake hasn't got more favorites is that most people are looking for designs they could make to sell, and you can't sell Disney Princess cakes.

I know what you mean about things that have taken a ton of work and then they don't get much attention, but the simpler stuff does...so far the most difficult thing I've ever done was to make a gun out of fondant...a realistic, life-sized gun, and that cake didn't get much attention because it's not something that most people would want to do.

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 2:52am
post #21 of 37

I'm actually shocked if people favor any my cakes LOL icon_biggrin.gif ...I honestly feel that my work does not come close to compare to the pieces of art that the experts make here. So, if anyone ever favor my cakes I humbly thank them from the bottom of my heart!! thumbs_up.gif

So, don't take it personally if people don't favor your cakes...many cakes I like I don't put in my favorites anymore because I have so many favorites that it has gotten out of hand.

tracey1970 Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 3:01am
post #22 of 37

Thanks Texas-Rose. Doing cakes is a real stretch for me as I have zero artistic ability. I get a lot of inspiration from here, thankfully! All the other stuff I do requires the close following of a pattern, which is more "up my alley." Making a cake from the baking to the final product without a "pattern" is waaaaay hard for me! Maybe that's why I do a lot of color flow, FBCTs, fondant plaques, etc. I can do more tracing and stuff that way. I know that doesn't really wow those of you who are real artists, but for me it's hard. Seeing all of your cakes gives me so much to work toward!

ILE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ILE Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 3:08am
post #23 of 37

IT'S nice to see that someone said something about your cake or its someones fav. i don't take it personally. becouse i don't do it for a living it's more like a stress relieve,for me i'm a pediatric nurse i see alot of not so nice things on little ones that break your heart. so when ever i post something and it doesn't get any comment it's ok

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 3:14am
post #24 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

Not at all..Everyone likes different cakes for different reasons!! I don't get offended but I have been doing this along time so you get used to it.

i agree. it all depends on what you like.

Makeitmemorable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Makeitmemorable Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 2:48pm
post #25 of 37

When I joined, which was just recently, I was absolutely thrilled that my cakes got viewed.....not favourited! I was astounded, I thought gee, someone has bothered to open the little box and take a closer look at my cakes - cc'ers are doing that with your cakes and as mentioned, there is only one cake on there. I also tend not to favourite figurines or flowers but I just love carved or novelty cakes - others prefer the delicate piping work, which I admire but am quite sure I could never re-create to some of the standards on here so I don't save them!

Each to their own, keep posting because they are certainly being looked at!

BTW, I would love to see the completed cake for your daughter - I loved the thread on your little figurine and watched her come to life, now I would love to see the completed cake!

Keep up the good work,

Bellatheball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bellatheball Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 5:33pm
post #26 of 37
Quote:

Tracey, that princess cake is awesome! It takes a ton of talent to handpaint like that.

tracey1970 Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 5:58pm
post #27 of 37

Thanks - but I have to 'fess up. I googled "Disney Princesses" on-line and was directed to a site where those pics came like that, sort of colouring book type pics. I just laid the printed out pic over the fondant, used a pointed fondant tool to "score" the image onto the fondant and painted "fill in the blanks" style. I go back and add the definition stuff like eyelashes later. However, with the rest of the face already done, it's not difficult to place eyebrows, lashes, "pieces" of hair, etc. Even I can do that! (lol)

Bellatheball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bellatheball Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 2:39am
post #28 of 37

No matter how easy it might have seemed, it still turned out awesome!

adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 2:44am
post #29 of 37

I don't take most things personally and I live a very carefree life.

Makeitmemorable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Makeitmemorable Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 12:08pm
post #30 of 37
Quote:

Thanks - but I have to 'fess up. I googled "Disney Princesses" on-line and was directed to a site where those pics came like that, sort of colouring book type pics. I just laid the printed out pic over the fondant, used a pointed fondant tool to "score" the image onto the fondant and painted "fill in the blanks" style. I go back and add the definition stuff like eyelashes later. However, with the rest of the face already done, it's not difficult to place eyebrows, lashes, "pieces" of hair, etc. Even I can do that! (lol)

It worked and who would know, if the end result is the same when it is finished, then it's a great cake - well done ! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%