Freezing Sponge Cake To Decorate After

Decorating By Cojack Updated 21 Aug 2009 , 9:58am by majka_ze

Cojack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cojack Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 9:45pm
post #1 of 2

Has anyone frozen a baked sponge cake and was able to decorate after thawing? Does it still taste light and fluffy?

Thanks for all your help.
icon_smile.gif

1 reply
majka_ze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majka_ze Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 9:58am
post #2 of 2

Yes, I do it. You need to cool the cake very well and wrap it well - I do double wrap in saran (plastic) and in aluminium foil. Sometimes when freezing for few days only, I wrap it IN the pan - I let the cake cool, return it in the pan, wrap it around the pan and freeze.

When taking out of the freezer I let it sit in the plastic wrap only and let it come to room temperature. Often the top crust comes off when removing the plastic wrap - not really problem for me.

Important is to let the cake cool well and to wrap carefully - if you get unnecessary moisture in your cake, it will make the cake soggy when thawing.

The cake tastes the same, gets slightly bit firmer which could be advantage - up to certain size I make 3D cakes from sponge.
If you need to cut your cake - best is to find the right moment when thawing - when the cake is still very firm but not deep frozen - it gets easier and you don't have as many crumbs.

It is not complicated, with time you get "a feel" for doing it right. Still, I would advice to try it on small round cake or a cake for your family as Sunday dessert.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%