The Air Bubble That Will Not Go Away!!!!!!!!

Decorating By Lovemesomecake Updated 20 Aug 2009 , 11:37pm by Mug-a-Bug

Lovemesomecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lovemesomecake Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 9:18pm
post #1 of 2

How do you fix an air bubble on a fondant cake??? I have poked a hole in the fondant, squished all the air out and 15 minutes later its BACK!! What am I doing wrong???

1 reply
Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 11:37pm
post #2 of 2

For some reason the cake gods have appointed me the bubble queen icon_razz.gif

I always seem to get them fondant or buttercream. They don't scare me anymore though because I've become somewhat of an expert in fixing them.

You will need to take evasive action. I've heard a lot of people recommend poking holes all over their cake and sqeezing out the air. I've never been able to get that to work for me. You will need to lift up your fondant from the bottom and RESMOOTH it with your fondant smoother pressing the air out the bottom. I have found that if my fondant has started to harden you can mist it with a little water to make it pliable again. I haven't tried it on a cake with REALLY hard fondant, it still needs to be a little soft.

Too much buttercream can cause these bubbles, but sometimes it's just air under there. Seems to be a mystery around here as to what exactly causes them. Someone called them "cake farts", I love it!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%