Glass Of Guinness

Decorating By emrldsky Updated 29 Sep 2009 , 3:00pm by emrldsky

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 7:13pm
post #1 of 20

My DH's birthday is next month and I tend to use his birthday cake as an experiment with a new technique.

This year, I want to make a cake that resembles a glass of Guinness, similar to this: http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_313403.html (I would ask the creator of that cake, but she hasn't been active since 2007.)

I've never carved a cake before. I'm assuming I'd need a cake recipe that would hold up well to carving, so any suggestions for that?

Also, suggestions on construction? This would be the tallest cake I've made. I'd consider myself an amateur, but I'm always willing to try and step up my game.

And one last thing: how to hide the seam? I'm obviously going to have to wrap the fondant around instead of draping it over, so is there a way to make it seamless?

Thanks so much in advance!!!!

19 replies
NatalieMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NatalieMarie Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 8:09pm
post #2 of 20

Good luck with your cake, the design looks really good!

Any dense cake will do for carving, I know alot of people recommend the WASC recipe on here. I personally like madeira cake because you can add whatever flavouring you want to it and it's nice and dense but still moist.

I would make it from about 3 6" rounds. However, if you are using shallow pans, bake 2 8" pans 2 7" pans and 2 6" pans - this will help you get the shape of the glass. You can put dowels through the cake and this will keep it secure.

When you wrap a cake with fondant as you will have to with this one, you always get a seam, so for this type of cake there is always a 'back' you don't photograph! Though you will be able to lay the white over the top.

Also, I would be tempted to try putting little drops of piping gel down the side of the 'glass' to simulate condensation on the glass.

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 8:32pm
post #3 of 20

The other thing that you could do re: the seam, is to have "foam" frothing up over the side and down the side of the glass.

NatalieMarie Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 9:04pm
post #4 of 20

oh, now that's a good idea! It's all about smoke and mirrors with cake decorating!!

emrldsky Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 12:13am
post #5 of 20

Oh thanks! Those are great ideas!

I use WASC a lot, but wasn't sure if it was recommended for carving. I can see why though, because it can be dense.

I figured there would be a seam, I was just hoping. icon_smile.gif I need to also work on a stencil for the design on the glass. My freehand isn't so great.

Thanks again!!!

NatalieMarie Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 9:10am
post #6 of 20

When I'm doing a logo I never do them freehand, I print off a copy to the size I want and trace it using baking parchment.

Makeitmemorable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Makeitmemorable Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 10:33am
post #7 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatalieMarie

Also, I would be tempted to try putting little drops of piping gel down the side of the 'glass' to simulate condensation on the glass.

I love this idea, how fab - that would look great particularly on a fondant that dark. I have never done a Guiness before but I have attached a photo of a 'beer glass' I did for a birthday. The nuts were really easy to make and I made the board look like wood so it looked like it was sitting on a bar. The froth will add affect and particularly for Guiness since it is a really 'frothy' beer.

You could put band of silver luster at the bottom to make it look like the bottom part of the glass.

Best of luck,
Kim
LL

emrldsky Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 3:53pm
post #8 of 20

Ahhh, but ladies, a properly poured pint of Guinness does not foam down the sides. icon_wink.gif In fact, if it's poured properly, you should see a faint shamrock on top of the "head" of the beer.

I know too much about beer. lol

sugarMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarMomma Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 4:17pm
post #9 of 20

You should totally do a chocolate guiness stout cake recipe. I have made it several times and it is so moist and dense, I don't see why you can't carve it!
My father is Irish and only drinks Guiness so for his birthday when I asked him what flavor cake he would like he jokingly said a Guiness cake. Little did he know one actually existed. I made it in the shape of a Guiness beer can (no carving) and covered it in dark chocolate ganache (no draping). I made the top and bottom of can with fondant and painted silver. Wish I had a pic. He has them on his disk and I forgot to bug him for it.

I also made a beer cooler groom's cake with the recipe, and all the guests raved about it. It's my favorite chocolate cake!

Here is a link to the recipe I use:
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Chocolate-Stout-Cake-107105

I take the butter mixture off the heat to add the cocoa so it doesn't burn.

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 4:47pm
post #10 of 20

Guiness Stout Cake is the only chocolate cake I make, It is absolutely the best. I have so many comments and requests for this cake, it is unbelievable. It is a very moist chocolate cake!!!

NatalieMarie Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 8:35pm
post #11 of 20

I think I'll be trying this recipe at the weekend, I've been looking for a better chocolate cake recipe than the one I currently use.

emrldsky Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 8:41pm
post #12 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissRobin

Guiness Stout Cake is the only chocolate cake I make, It is absolutely the best. I have so many comments and requests for this cake, it is unbelievable. It is a very moist chocolate cake!!!

If it's moist, can it still hold up to carving?

NatalieMarie Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 8:57pm
post #13 of 20

It's all about the density, not how moist it is. My carving cakes have density, but there really moist and yummy too.

sugarMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarMomma Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 9:14pm
post #14 of 20

and the recipe for guiness cake that I use is both moist and dense.

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 7:25pm
post #15 of 20

mmmmm I made a Guinness cake a few years ago w/ the choc. stout recipe - yum! It was flat, but carved well!

josumiko Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
josumiko Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 7:43pm
post #16 of 20

There is a chocolate stout cake in the gourmet flavors thread that is a WASC variation that is to die for!!! I made it for the DH's birthday and everyone raved over it. Said it was the best chocolate cake they ever tasted. Luckily the DH is a homebrewer, so i told him that he always has to keep some stout on tap in the kegerator!

Zamode Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zamode Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 1:08am
post #17 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by emrldsky

Ahhh, but ladies, a properly poured pint of Guinness does not foam down the sides. icon_wink.gif In fact, if it's poured properly, you should see a faint shamrock on top of the "head" of the beer.

I know too much about beer. lol

I completely agree. thumbs_up.gif It should have a nice, frothy, creamy head that leaves a moustache over your lips. If where you get your Guinness, it is missing this frothy goodness then you should contact the Guinness company and frequent another establishment.

emrldsky Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 6:58pm
post #18 of 20

icon_biggrin.gif So, I have a laminated template for the shape of the glass (it's just shy of 11 inches tall), and my father has agreed to make the support structure of the cake (a round base made of wood with a dowel, 10" tall, screwed into it).

Now, just to make sure I have all the other tools I need. Possibly a stencil for the lettering and design. Hmmm....icon_biggrin.gif

Zamode Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zamode Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 4:57am
post #19 of 20

You forgot the first tool needed--an inspirational pint! Looking forward to seeing your cake.

emrldsky Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 3:00pm
post #20 of 20

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%