Perfect Edges With Fondant

Decorating By imamommy1205 Updated 20 Aug 2009 , 8:27pm by Mug-a-Bug

imamommy1205 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imamommy1205 Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 6:13pm
post #1 of 15

I was wondering how to make the edges of my fondant covered cakes so crisp? Mine end up being more rounded (almost like a small dome shape on the top) and I want them to be closer to 90 degrees. I hope this makes sense lol.

Less like this:
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1392901

And more like this:
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1440747

TIA!

14 replies
__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 6:21pm
post #2 of 15

Welll....the example you showed that you want to be like is not fondant. icon_smile.gif

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 6:23pm
post #3 of 15

You have to finish off you BC iced cake like you weren't going to put fondant on. If it's not sharp, level and smooth before you put fondant on, it ain't gonna be any different when you do. Make sure your cake top is perfectly flat. Looks like you aren't levelling, or are leaving too much icing on top .

Takes practice!

Oh, edited to add:

Using two fondant smoothers at one time helps too. Using ganache instead of BC is a help, and working on well chilled cake helps as well. It's hard for me to do anything with fondant on a room temp cake...I don't even bother.

tiggerjo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggerjo Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 6:24pm
post #4 of 15

not really sure about this but, how do you put your cakes together. I put the 2 tops in the center. That makes the top of your cake more crisp. HTH

panchanewjersey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panchanewjersey Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 6:24pm
post #5 of 15

Well I've always heard that if you use ganache under your fondant that's how you get those crisp corners. I tried it and liked it but I used white chocolate ganache and it didn't get as hard as dark chocolate. Otherwise for some people who use bc they let it set in the frig or on counter until it get's hard crust before applying fondant. But I still think ganache looks so much better, look at planet cakes. They are so crisp, one day I'll be that good.

NatalieMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NatalieMarie Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 6:27pm
post #6 of 15

you can also buy smoothers for the edges of your cake to make them a crisp corner like this one..

http://www.squires-shop.com/ibf/index.php?p=product&id=4939&parent=252

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 6:27pm
post #7 of 15

Yeah, the example is buttercream...and we all wish we could be Edna when we grow up icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Anyhow, you might try putting your cake in the fridge for a while before you put the fondant on. I don't usually do that but last weekend I made a cake that had to be refrigerated and I was amazed at how much nicer my edges were on a cold cake.

imamommy1205 Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 6:33pm
post #8 of 15

OH , haha oops, but edges like that. I have seen some fondant cakes with those nice edges.

Thanks for the other tips! That cake I posted a pic of was one of those "just get it on and get it done" bc it had been such a nightmare lol. It was like my 3rd cake with fondant. The next one I did ended up a lot better, but the edges still weren as perfect as I wanted them.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 6:41pm
post #9 of 15

i would say... to invest in sharon zambito's dvd's... they are wonderful.. i have not perfected my b/c to look like fondant either.. but i keep looking at her dvd/s .... she has one on perfecting b/c .. fondant... stacking cakes.. and topsy turvy. they are absolutely wonderful... jennifer dontz has several also. hers are wonderful too. and yes .. edna does teriffic work also. she is on youtube and her site showing b/c.. hth

imamommy1205 Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 6:59pm
post #10 of 15

Oh, I missed this one. Yes I do level my cakes. Like I said, that cake was a disaster from start to finish lol.

Texas_Rose Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 7:03pm
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by imamommy1205

Oh, I missed this one. Yes I do level my cakes. Like I said, that cake was a disaster from start to finish lol.

Just for the record, lots of people would be proud to have made that cake icon_biggrin.gif So what you're thinking of as a disaster isn't, really.

One thing that might make you happier with the look of your tiered cakes is to have more of a size difference between tiers, a 4" difference instead of 2".

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 7:09pm
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by imamommy1205

I was wondering how to make the edges of my fondant covered cakes so crisp? Mine end up being more rounded (almost like a small dome shape on the top) and I want them to be closer to 90 degrees. I hope this makes sense lol.

Less like this:
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1392901

And more like this:
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1440747

TIA!

Global Sugar Art sells these great edge shapers that might just be what you are looking for. Check these out:

http://www.globalsugarart.com/search.php?search=edgers

imamommy1205 Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 7:10pm
post #13 of 15

Thanks icon_smile.gif. I noticed that too that I expected more of a difference in size once they were put together. My next one will be a 6, 10 instead of 8, 10. It wont be fondant though, I am making cammoflage in pieces with rolled buttercream (pink, purple, and white).

Texas_Rose Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 7:13pm
post #14 of 15

That is going to be so cute!

I've never tried rolled buttercream. I may have to try it soon (in the fall because of the darn heat around here).

Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 8:27pm
post #15 of 15

I'm not exactly an expert on acheiving crisp edges, but I know getting two fondant smoothers has helped me. Work the side one in an "upward" motion while holding the other one on top perpendicular. Good luck. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%