How Do You Get A Sheet Cake Thicker In Height?

Decorating By madgeowens Updated 23 Aug 2009 , 5:44am by madgeowens

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 5:10am
post #1 of 26

Do you put parchment paper around the sheet cake pan and add more batter? Or do you make the sheet cake two layers?

25 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 5:19am
post #2 of 26

I make my sheet cakes 2 layers.

NatalieMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NatalieMarie Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 6:19am
post #3 of 26

prterrell is right, if you put too much batter in the cake tin you'll have problems with cooking and it won't come out right, so bake 2 layers.

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 6:34am
post #4 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by madgeowens

Do you put parchment paper around the sheet cake pan and add more batter? Or do you make the sheet cake two layers?

You need to make sure you have the appropiate amount of batter in the pan. Check the instructions for the batter amount. I don't collar my sheet pans.

As for the cake not cooking I invested in a heating core and it works fabulous. I tried using a flower nail but that was a waste of time. It did not work for me.

If your sheet pan is 2 inches and you need 4 inches then you will need to stack cakes.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 12:23pm
post #5 of 26

I typically bake two layers and then tort each layer and fill the cake. But you could collar the pan. At least put some flower nails in it though if you collar the pan.

makeminepink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
makeminepink Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 12:41pm
post #6 of 26

Ok, for those of you who say you do two layers-- how much batter are we talking? I did 1/2 of the WASC last night for a 9 x 13 and it seems like a skimpy looking cake. Are you saying that maybe you bake the whole recipe -- in 2 layers for 1 sheet cake-- which is 2 cake mixes etc......?

NatalieMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NatalieMarie Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 1:02pm
post #7 of 26

I find this helps when working out how much batter to use for each tin size:

4"round/3"square - 1/4 of the recipe
5"round/4"square - 1/3 of the recipe
6"round/5"square - 1/2 of the recipe
7"round/6"square - 3/4 of the recipe
8"round/7"square - 1 of the recipe
9"round/8"square - 1 1/4 of the recipe
10"round/9"square - 1 1/2 of the recipe
11"round/10"square - 2 of the recipe
12"round/11"square - 2 1/2 of the recipe
13"round/12"square - 3 of the recipe
14"round/13"square - 3 1/2 of the recipe

This is for the 3" deep tins (I use the ones by invicta) so this would be for 2 of the shallower tins.

makemepink - I would treat a 9x13 pan as an 11" square so you'd need 2 1/2 quantities of the recipe or 2 1/2 boxes of mix for a deep cake.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 7:00pm
post #8 of 26

Rebecca Sutterby's WASC cake recipe using 2 DH white cake mixes yields a tad over 14 cups of batter.

Here's a link to Wilton's cake preparation and servings charts for 2" and 3" deep pans:

http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/

A 9x13x2" pan would require 7 cups of batter per layer. So for a 13x9x4 layer cake you would need 14 cups of batter.

HTH

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 1:45am
post #9 of 26

I don't make the WASC, so I cannot speak to that. I make all of my cakes from scratch, so I don't count by box mixes.

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 1:57am
post #10 of 26

I make two layers. It usually takes me two box mixes.

Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 2:01am
post #11 of 26

Sorry, I know this response has nothing to do with baking the cake but...when I needed extra height in one of my cakes, I added foam core under the cake. It comes in different thickness, the one I used was 1/2 inch. It gave my cakes a little "boost"

Cheri316 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cheri316 Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 2:03am
post #12 of 26

what does WASC stand for? I am a newbie to decorating cakes

Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 2:04am
post #13 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheri316

what does WASC stand for? I am a newbie to decorating cakes

White almond sour cream cake...comes out really good.

Cheri316 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cheri316 Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 2:12am
post #14 of 26

Thanks so much! I will have to look that receipe up

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 2:13am
post #15 of 26

It's wonderful! I now use WASC as my basic white cake.

PuffCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PuffCake Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 2:27am
post #16 of 26

What does "collar the pan" mean and what size is the "sheet" cake referred to earlier in the post? I"ve heard the term "full sheet" pan before but thought it was too big to fit in a regular oven. Or are you all commercial bakers?

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 2:44am
post #17 of 26

Wilton lists these sizes in its cake preparation and servings charts:

7 x 11"
9 x 13"
11 x 15"
12 x 18"
14 x 22"

Depending on manufacturer, there can be a slight variance in size.

And yes, a full sheet pan would only fit in a commerical oven. However, you can make a full sheet cake by butting two half-sheet pans together.

Also, the terms, full sheet, half-sheet can be very confusing. It's best to know how many servings are required, and then determine the appropriately sized pan to provide that number.

HTH

HTH

madgeowens Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 6:35am
post #18 of 26

ok I am making a ...I think its the 14 by 22....and I may have to add one to make it longer, because I made a baseball bat so big, it wont fit on the 22 incher...also I hate when sheet cakes are so flat....like a bit of height to them....I may just put the bat in front on the foam board, not sure yet....thing is, the birthday girl has requested grass over the entire top ugh....my arthritis is gonna be in full swing....I took a kids plastic bat (toddler size) and slit in half then placed wax paper in it and filled it with melted chocolate and then after it set I covered it in mmf........this is a work in progress haha...to be continued.

madgeowens Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 2:55am
post #19 of 26

ok all done, in my pics....it came out cute I think....of course no comments as usual lol

Angfastic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Angfastic Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 3:18am
post #20 of 26

I normally do 9x13 double layer. I make a batch of the WASC for each pan. They are actually pretty high afterwards and provide a lot of servings.

madgeowens Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 3:40am
post #21 of 26

I did the 14x22 and used two cones, and it came out good, thanks for help

beccal1972 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beccal1972 Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 4:06am
post #22 of 26

I don't know if this will help but when I want a little extra height I use a spatula and scoop the batter to the sides of the pan, trying to leave the center concave right before I pop it into the oven. Usually the cake comes out so I don't need to trim the top much, just enough so its even, then I turn the cake onto its board and ice it, if there is a little gap along the bottom of the cake icing and a border covers it. This only works with a thicker cake batter like WASC.(which is AWESOME) This just adds a little to the height, and I find that I'm not wasting so muchcake by cutting off that big dome

kakedreamer1212 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakedreamer1212 Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 4:18am
post #23 of 26

sometimes instead of using 2 layers of cake, I cut the one layer in half, fill with buttercream and put the top back on. Just like you would if you were torting a round cake. This works great for adding height without adding extra servings.

Kandy4283 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kandy4283 Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 4:43am
post #24 of 26

thats a really good idea to cut the cake in half and add filling....wow I never evern thaught of that for height!! thanks!

cblupe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cblupe Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 5:09am
post #25 of 26

Madge, your cake turned out really cute!!

Carol

madgeowens Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 5:44am
post #26 of 26

Thanks. I think I am goofed up on the size of cake pans...I did measure and it was 12 x 26....so maybe it was 12 x 18 and a 9 x 13 that would come out about that size I think haha....never was good at math lol...it was a long sucker and man it took forever to pipe all that grass. The kids loved it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%