Wedding Cake Tiers - How Tall?

Decorating By DanaG21 Updated 19 Jun 2013 , 2:07pm by nannycook

DanaG21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DanaG21 Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 7:59pm
post #1 of 12

I'm doing my first wedding cake for Saturday. It needs to feed 150 people. I can't decide how tall the tiers should be. Some of the cakes I see now the bottom tier seems very tall - I know the minimum should be 4" but is that right? Please help!!!

11 replies
pugmama1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pugmama1 Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 8:09pm
post #2 of 12

Some of the modern cakes do have different heights for the tiers but 4 inches is a really good standard.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 9:07pm
post #3 of 12

Yep. Mine are generally 4 to 5 inches tall, but never under 4". It looks cool when some tiers are taller, whether it's a towering top tier, or a tall middle tier, it all looks good!

mackeymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mackeymom Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 9:18pm
post #4 of 12

Good question! I have noticed that more wedding cake tiers are 6" tall! Am I seeing things? Or is this a new trend?

__Jamie__ Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 9:22pm
post #5 of 12

If I want extra height, I use 1/2 foam core for my tiers, or even add another thinner layer to give the cake tier extra height. But when it's cut and served, it's still only around 4 to 4.5 inches tall. But looks dang dramatic when the cake is assembled.

Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 2:09pm
post #6 of 12

{{{OFF TOPIC}}} Dana, I love that cupcake in your picture! How do you get that kind of frosting? Is it cream cheese? How is it applied? Sorry for hijacking the thread icon_rolleyes.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 2:25pm
post #7 of 12

Yeah, that is a super cute cupcake!

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 12:57am
post #8 of 12

As everyone else has mentioned the industry standard is 4" for each tier. Keep in mind that if the tiers are much larger (ie 6") you will need to make sure that your dessert plates will be large enough to accomodate the slices of cake.

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 1:10am
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by xstitcher

As everyone else has mentioned the industry standard is 4" for each tier. Keep in mind that if the tiers are much larger (ie 6") you will need to make sure that your dessert plates will be large enough to accomodate the slices of cake.

And don't forget to charge 50% more per serving because your servings will be 50% larger.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 1:26am
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarFrosted

Quote:
Originally Posted by xstitcher

And don't forget to charge 50% more per serving because your servings will be 50% larger.

Ditto both of these ladies!

mini-linny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mini-linny Posted 19 Jun 2013 , 1:50pm
post #11 of 12

Hello!

Im new to this and a little confused! I get that each tier should be 4" tall and it looks fab as I made a four tier chocolate sponge wedding cake which I baked in two 2" pans however if a customer would like fruit cake and sponge cake, how do I bake the fruit cake to 4" tall? The sponge is baked in two pans then stuck together with buttercream to make 4" but fruit cake isn't stuck together or cut. Do I need to buy a deeper / special pan ?

Thanks to anyone for their suggestion !! Much appreciated! = )

nannycook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannycook Posted 19 Jun 2013 , 2:07pm
post #12 of 12

AHi mini, theres an Alan Silverwood multi tin thats 4inches deep and believe me its a deep ones, about £29to buy and you can but deviders also.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%