Some People Just Make You Laugh!

Business By sweet-thing Updated 20 Aug 2009 , 3:02am by sweet-thing

sweet-thing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet-thing Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 4:35pm
post #1 of 15

So a friend of mine asked me to make her son's birthday cake. She wanted John Deere or JoJo' Circus. I came up with a cute JoJo cake idea (thanks to help from many of your photos) and told her about it. She tells me that she would like me to incorporate John Deere into the Jojo theme. Maybe make "some of those little icing figures (fondant) that I see people do, and a circus tent, and we could have a field beside it with the tractor doing something, oh, and maybe a three ring circus thing!" and on and on And can we use that fondant stuff because it looks so much better.! The kicker is, "Oh by the way, I want to pay you since it will probably take more time than a sheet cake. Is $30 okay?" huh? This would be for around 35 people, by the way!

14 replies
tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 4:46pm
post #2 of 15

After I stopped laughing I would tell her what a cake like that actually cost and see if she still wants it.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 4:48pm
post #3 of 15

Yeah, I'd have to burst her bubble and let her know that it would cost more than 30 just for your supplies! I'd figure out a price and then discount it and make sure she knows she's getting the "friends and family" price. That is ALOT to ask of a friend.

SpringFlour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpringFlour Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 4:49pm
post #4 of 15

Sure, $30 will be just fine for ONE of the "little icing figures." And what, you think this will really take more time than a sheet cake? It seems to me you should be able to whip that up in an hour or two. What a great hourly rate for you! icon_wink.gif

I'm facing the same sort of thing right now. I have a friend who wants a Larry Boy cake for her son. I know they're having financial difficulties right now, and just didn't have the heart to tell her how much the cake would really cost. I haven't committed to make it. She did offer to pay, but no amount was mentioned. The only reason I would do it is because she is a really good friend and my kids are friends with her son.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 4:59pm
post #5 of 15

god luv her little cake civilian heart! icon_biggrin.gif Yeah, I'd give her the real price. The fun of watching her face would be worth it all! icon_lol.gif

StaceyCakes75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StaceyCakes75 Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 5:09pm
post #6 of 15

People just dont have any idea! What do they think we just poop thoes figures out? The cake your friend is asking for is well over 100.00 in my book. Once you break it down to her and tell her to make a cake like that would take you 6 hours or what ever she might reconsider just going to walmart.

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 5:21pm
post #7 of 15

I'm sorry even a person that doesn't do cakes can't be that STUPID, good GRIEF a sheet cake at Sams and Walmarts that we can't touch the price is more than that. She can't be that dumb!!!!!

Lottchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lottchen Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 5:24pm
post #8 of 15

oh yes. Exactly this is, what I´m talking about with my "friend" this morning...
She always says, that I have to sell my cakes...
The new one:
thanks to jj1957

"Oh I think you could easily take 30 for such art thing..."

and then I get started to tell her all of my costs... including baking and dishes and everything
And ask her, what she pays for Hairdress etc and what my hour would cost in a 30 cake?

*grrrr

sweet-thing Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 6:04pm
post #9 of 15

The funny thing is that I just recently started doing fondant to begin with. I have been doing bc for years but nothing like I have learned to do in the past year. I can't even begin to imagine how long it would take me to do the figures!!

I think part of the problem is that I have done cakes for her in the past and haven't charged anything. Now she wants something amazing for nothing. AND she watched Ace of Cakes the other night and told me she thinks I could easily make cakes like that! AAAAHAHAHAHA!!! I don't know which part was funnier, saying that they would be easy or thinking I could make one!! I love those shows (especially Duff) but they sure do make things harder for us sometimes. I learned to cover a cake with fondant so therefore I am an expert!

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 6:13pm
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaceyCakes75

People just dont have any idea! What do they think we just poop thoes figures out? .

Some days... ok most days I have to answer yes to this question. icon_lol.gif

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 6:15pm
post #11 of 15

If she really wants a JoJo's Circus/John Deere cake, tell her to supply the plastic figures and tent; and you'll make a plain sheet cake that she can place them on. Charge her for a plain sheetcake.

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 1:15am
post #12 of 15

I think the funny thing is that in her mind, she was trying to be magnanimous by offering to pay you... and then insulted you by offering money enough to MAYBE pay for supplies.... it may have been better if she never volunteered the payment at all. i have a cousin who does that to me all the time. I finally charged her full price and she through a tee-total fit until I explained what actually went into the process. Then she shut up...

Those cake shows make me crazy. I don't have cable, but I am still haunted by them every time I do a wedding show or a tasting. I don't HAVE a belt sander for my gumpaste, I'm SORRY!

cookiemama2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemama2 Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 1:33am
post #13 of 15

To bad they don't show what they charge on these cake shows so people could see what these "easy " cakes are worth!

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 1:38am
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringFlour

I have a friend who wants a Larry Boy cake for her son. I know they're having financial difficulties right now, and just didn't have the heart to tell her how much the cake would really cost. I haven't committed to make it. She did offer to pay, but no amount was mentioned. The only reason I would do it is because she is a really good friend and my kids are friends with her son.

perhaps if your so inclined you could offer it as a birthday gift to help alleviate some birthday stress. just a thought. i understand if you cant icon_smile.gif

sweet-thing Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 3:02am
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jentreu

Those cake shows make me crazy. I don't have cable, but I am still haunted by them every time I do a wedding show or a tasting. I don't HAVE a belt sander for my gumpaste, I'm SORRY!

The other thing that I always point out to people is that I have noticed that each cake, especially CCC, is worked on by several people. One bakes, one frosts, one does fondant, etc. They did a cake the other night that was like seven teirs and each teir was done by a different decorator! There is only one of me!! I do love the shows though. I want to meet Duff and his crew sooo bad! They are a hoot!

I think I am going to go ahead and do something for my friend's son. It will be great practice and if it turns out okay it will be another photo to show.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%