O.k So What Is The Best Buttercream To Use Under Fondant???

Decorating By Ruth0304 Updated 20 Aug 2009 , 9:35pm by cakedecadence

Ruth0304 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0304 Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 2:01pm
post #1 of 17

There are so many recipes out there for buttercream but which do you use that gives you the best result under fondant???

Please can any tell me what is there favorite???

Thanks, Ruth

16 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 2:15pm
post #2 of 17

I really like Indydebi's buttercream, for the taste, the texture, how easy it is to spread and smooth, how well it holds up in hot weather, etc...I could go on and on about it icon_biggrin.gif

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 2:24pm
post #3 of 17

I like IndyDebi's BC as well, but I also like ganache. Gananche sets up hard and can easily be smoothed and molded to give you sharp corners and edges. For carved cakes it is almost essiental to cover in ganache before covering with fondant. It will give you a much smoother finish on your fondant if your BC or ganache is as smooth as possible.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 2:37pm
post #4 of 17

Ganache works great, but I use crusting buttercream..
Edna icon_smile.gif

MrsNancyB1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNancyB1 Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 7:48pm
post #5 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

I really like Indydebi's buttercream, for the taste, the texture, how easy it is to spread and smooth, how well it holds up in hot weather, etc...I could go on and on about it icon_biggrin.gif

Ditto all of this!

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 8:37pm
post #6 of 17

which ever one you are used to working with!
i like a traditional bc - butter, ps, milk - or indydebis.
xx

Ruth0304 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0304 Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 9:40pm
post #7 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

Edna icon_smile.gif

I actually use your recipe icon_smile.gif! I don't think that I have mastered spreading it on the cake correctly and that might be my problem because my fondant appers lumpy in certain areas. I guess I just have to practice making the buttercream smooth so that I can avoid having lumps in my fondant. By the way I love, love your videos and have learned alot from them. And your cakes are trully beautiful. icon_wink.gif

tonedna Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 12:20am
post #8 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth0304

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

Edna icon_smile.gif

I actually use your recipe icon_smile.gif! I don't think that I have mastered spreading it on the cake correctly and that might be my problem because my fondant appers lumpy in certain areas. I guess I just have to practice making the buttercream smooth so that I can avoid having lumps in my fondant. By the way I love, love your videos and have learned alot from them. And your cakes are trully beautiful. icon_wink.gif

thanks...I am one of those who believe you use what you like the most.
But about those lumps..keep practicing..skills are not born in one day, they are mastered with lots of practice..Keep at it..I promise it gets easier.
Edna icon_smile.gif

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 12:24am
post #9 of 17

I only use one kind of BC -- IMBC.

Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 4:03am
post #10 of 17

Does IMBC work well in warmer conditions? I was thinking of making a wedding cake in October, icing in SMBC or IMBC then fondant, but wasn't sure if it would hold up.

babykonst Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babykonst Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 4:16am
post #11 of 17

i used smbc under fondant just last week, it was a breeze to put on, very smooth, but as i put the fondant on, the corners started getting soft on me, should i refirgerate first let the smbc harden then put the fondant on??? TIA

tonedna Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 4:50am
post #12 of 17

Even with buttercream I refrigerate before I put the fondant on top of it.
Edna icon_smile.gif

babykonst Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babykonst Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 6:05am
post #13 of 17

thanks edna, im still soo new at this, thank goodness for this site!! i learn new stuff everyday from all the pros like yourself!!

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 6:23am
post #14 of 17

I use crusting BC, too. I want to give ganache a try, though.

cakedecadence Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedecadence Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 11:38am
post #15 of 17

Hi everyone
Downunder in Australia we rarely use buttercream, preferring ganache for the reasons Jayde gave. White chocolate for white/pale cakes and milk or dark choc for darker cakes. It sets up really hard and you can achieve crisp, clean edges and a really smooth finish. I am new to this and have tried both and must say that I personally won't use buttercream again. It's just a personal thing though and what you are used to.

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 1:54pm
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by debzcakez

Hi everyone
Downunder in Australia we rarely use buttercream, preferring ganache for the reasons Jayde gave. White chocolate for white/pale cakes and milk or dark choc for darker cakes. It sets up really hard and you can achieve crisp, clean edges and a really smooth finish. I am new to this and have tried both and must say that I personally won't use buttercream again. It's just a personal thing though and what you are used to.

I tried white ganache on my last cake, it didn't get as hard as the dark, I used 3:1 ratio, what do you use.

cakedecadence Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedecadence Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 9:35pm
post #17 of 17

Hi Miss Robin
The "cake guru" here in Australia is Paris Cutler from Planet Cake. She recently released an excellent book which is now my cake decorating "bible"! I will give you the ganache recipe from there plus some of her tips.

"Facts about ganache: White chocolate ganache is less stable than dark chocolate ganache, so in hot weather or when you are making intricate three-dimensional cakes, it is easier to use dark chocolate.
What type of cream: Single or pouring cream - never thickened cream which has gelatine added to it.

White Chocolate Ganache
1.3kg (3lb) white chocolate
450ml (16 fl oz) pure cream

Dark Chocolate Ganache
1.2kg (2 lb 10oz) dark chocolate
600ml (21 fl oz) pure cream

Hope this helps!
Cheers
Deb

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%