Dark Chocolate Plastic

Decorating By lapazlady Updated 20 Aug 2009 , 9:11pm by lapazlady

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 1:35pm
post #1 of 12

How do I make this type of "plastic"? Can I use chocolate and glucose or is it more involved? I guess I need a recipe, don't I! TIA

11 replies
kellyanne1981 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellyanne1981 Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 3:11pm
post #2 of 12

Mich Turner has fantastic chocolate plastique recipes in her book "Fantastic Party Cakes"

She does advise using the qhite plastique first...if you want the recipe please just let me know!

kel xx

lapazlady Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 9:19pm
post #3 of 12

I have Spectacular Cakes by Mich Turner. I did find her recipe for Chocolate Plastic but felt confused. Do you know why she recommends using white chocolate pastic first? Is it just easier to work with? Gads, I hope I can get good results with the dark chocolate. I found a recipe on line and made up a small batch to work with and see how it goes. Thank you so much for your offer. I'll PM you for your recipe if I have trouble.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 9:29pm
post #4 of 12

I use JenniferMI's Pearl Clay. It works basically the same but has better properties (holds shape, can make it very thin, tastes great, etc. etc.) and I highly recommend it. I've used it in place of Chocolate Plastic recipes with great success. icon_biggrin.gif

sleeper713 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sleeper713 Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 9:34pm
post #5 of 12

What is chocolate plastic and what do you use it for?

bobwonderbuns Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 9:39pm
post #6 of 12

Chocolate plastic is basically modelling clay -- chocolate with corn syrup that's set and kneaded a couple of times. I don't prefer it because it melts like crazy and sticks to everything (hence why I like the pearl clay.) But it's great for chocolate accents on a cake like chocolate roses (at least that's what others like it for. Y'all know my opinion!) icon_lol.gif

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 9:47pm
post #7 of 12

So, what's the difference between the modeling chocolate, chocolate plastic & pearl clay.

bobwonderbuns Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 9:59pm
post #8 of 12

Chocolate plastic and modeling chocolate are the same thing. Pearl Clay is a version of that with fondant incorporated into it for stability.

lapazlady Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 11:36pm
post #9 of 12

Bobwonderbuns (I love that name), can I add some fondant to the chocolate? Is there a percentage ie:20-60 or such? I would love to be able to do fans the first time around. I'd never heard of pearl clay. Thank you!

bobwonderbuns Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 1:15am
post #10 of 12

Well it's as a professional courtesy to Jen that I don't divulge the pearl clay recipe. However it is on her Fun with Fondant Frills DVD (a personal fave of mine) and she not only shows how to make it, but she troubleshoots and shows how to use it in a variety of ways.

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 2:50am
post #11 of 12

I have used 1/2 fondant & 1/2 modeling chocolate w/ success. It does stay a little more firm, but you can warm it up to smooth out wrinkles if you need too.

lapazlady Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 9:11pm
post #12 of 12

I will give the 50 - 50 a try tomorrow morning. Thank you so much.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%