Storing Cakes Baked On Wed. For Fri.??

Decorating By mrshoover Updated 19 Aug 2009 , 6:43pm by antoinette

mrshoover Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrshoover Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 12:57pm
post #1 of 7

I plan on baking cakes today (wed) that are going to be used Fri evening. I probably won't be able to frost them until tomorrow. In the meantime, how should I store the cakes so that they don't dry out??? Thanks for the help!

6 replies
dnrlee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dnrlee Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 1:09pm
post #2 of 7

I wrap mine in plastic, put them in air tight storage bags and put them in the fridge.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 1:19pm
post #3 of 7

ditto!

Edna
icon_smile.gif

KASCARLETT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KASCARLETT Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 1:20pm
post #4 of 7

Wrap the cakes good in plastic wrap, then foil and put in the freezer overnight. Take them out in the morning when you wake up to thaw in the wrappings - do not unwrap until they are thawed. Depending on what size they are, I would allow at least 4-5 hours for thawing, then they can be unwrapped and decorated! Store in the box you will transport it in - it will be fine because it will be covered in the icing.

OR if you will be at home Friday, you can take them out to thaw Thursday night, then decorate them Friday.

Freezing them at least a day before like that also helps in the moistness of the cake.

mrshoover Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrshoover Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 2:48pm
post #5 of 7

thanks so much everyone! I really appreciate the advice and will put it to use!

onlymadaresane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onlymadaresane Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 6:25pm
post #6 of 7

so- after you bake them. I take them out and put them on a cooling rack. I assume I wait until they're cool to wrap in saran wrap and freeze. Correct?

antoinette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antoinette Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 6:43pm
post #7 of 7

Wrap in saran wrap while still warm, then in foil. This is the only way I do my cakes and they are perfectly moist when thawed. They are also easier to tort while still semi-frozen.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%