Smooth Fondant??

Decorating By Mrs_Burns Updated 19 Aug 2009 , 4:29am by sugarandslice

Mrs_Burns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mrs_Burns Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 4:02am
post #1 of 5

hi everybody!!! i was just wondering if anybody had any tips on how to get really smooth fondant. i have been rolling mine out on a laminated sheet (you know the kind you can buy from wilton it has all the measurements on it) and the top always looks smooth but when i flip it over to put on the cake the it always comes out creased looking, not pretty on a cake. please let me know if you have any suggestions or tips, i would really appreciate it!!! thank you and God Bless!!! icon_smile.gif

4 replies
KrissieCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrissieCakes Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 4:15am
post #2 of 5

Don't flip it over...I'm no expert, but I don't think you're supposed to flip it. You lift it off of the sheet, using your rolling pin to help lift it and lay it over the cake, rolled side up. That's how I do it, and that's what I've seen the pros on tv doing! The bottom of my fondant always looks the same as yours... slightly pitted and irregular, right? Good luck! icon_smile.gif

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 4:20am
post #3 of 5

i use the ateco blue mat for fondant, use the flip method, and it comes out great. some people use food grade vinyl.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 4:23am
post #4 of 5

Are you using the one that came in the kit? I think part of the problem is that it was folded and it's hard to get out the creases. I'd either go for the Ateco mat or the heavy duty vinyl you can get from the fabric dept. If you go this route make sure you do not let the sales associate fold it, ask her to roll it up (just like it was on the roll) and store it the same way after each use.

sugarandslice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandslice Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 4:29am
post #5 of 5

I just roll mine on my benchtop with a little icing sugar or cornflour to stop it sticking. And I don't flip it either.
Once it's on your cake you can try smoothing it with a fondant smoother. I think Wilton do one. I have a couple of acrylic ones. Also, you can get a really smooth finish if you rub a piece of acetate plastic over your finished fondant. I use a piece of overhead projector film cut with rounded corners to fit into my hand or you can use those clear plastic dividers found in some document folders.
HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%