Need Help From A Licensed California Cake Maker?

Business By catlharper Updated 20 Aug 2009 , 6:03pm by itsacake

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 11:38pm
post #1 of 4

I have found almost nothing online to help me figure out how to get licensed in the state of CA. I plan to rent a kitchen (hopefully find a nearby Church that would be ok with it) so I won't need a health inspection, right? I already have a license as an event coordinator, can I put the cake business under that license or do I need a whole new one for the cake portion of our business? If you are licensed in CA please guide me?


3 replies
jastaus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jastaus Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 5:58am
post #2 of 4

Wish I could help I am really struggling with this too as I have just moved to CA. But all I am finding is very discouraging it seems this state, as a lot of others, is not set up to help people start business. Rather they want to hinder them with a bunch of useless laws, run around and fees. But what can you expect from a state that can't even afford to have their DMVs open 5 days a week! Wow sorry this has turned into more of a rant that I intended. Just very frustrated! What part of CA are you in? I have been searching everywhere for a kitchen to rent every once in a while. But all I have found are places that want you to rent at a least 2,000 dollars a month worth. I am just starting out and I would most likely not have anywhere near that many orders.

The only other thing I do know of for this state is that you will have to get product liability insurance and something like SeverSafe is usually required before anyone will rent a kitchen to you.

Let me know if you find anything else out and I will do the same to you. Thanks! icon_smile.gif

ZlatkaT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZlatkaT Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 1:38pm
post #3 of 4

I just want to say Hello from Ventura. What part of CA are you? I found a kitchen in Ventura for rent for 650/month, but I am not ready to start my business, as I am learning more about the issues involved. If you are close to Ventura, I would give you the contact for the kitchen rental I found.

itsacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsacake Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 6:03pm
post #4 of 4

Catlharper, every county is a little different. I've been renting in San Mateo County for a year and am setting up my own place in Santa Clara County. Even though the laws are state wide, each county interprets a bit differently and has added a few of their own things.

Usually, even if you rent space in a licensed kitchen, (and many church kitchen are not licensed, so be sure you find out) you need to be inspected as your own entity as well. They want to be sure you have refrigerator, freezer and storage space and that you know about sanitation. You need to take a ServeSafe or other accredited course, and most places won't rent to you unless you have insurance. Also, you will have to see if your business license as an event coordinator covers your caking. I can't see why it wouldn't, but so you need to talk to the town or city you are in to find out about that.

I'd be happy o pass along any info I may have if you want to send me PMs with specific questions. If either of you are near San Jose/ Mountian View, I will have my kitchen built by the beginning of next year and might be able to share space under certain conditions.

Quote by @%username% on %date%