Cleaning Up Powdered Sugar

Decorating By angel951747 Updated 24 Aug 2009 , 2:40am by xstitcher

angel951747 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angel951747 Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 11:10pm
post #1 of 8

I have been making cakes for a while now and I have yet to figure out how to get all the powdered sugar cleaned up from the cake and figures. If I paint them, I don't really have that problem. But there has to be a better way. I have tried brushing it off but I can still see it in my pics. Am I supposed to use something? I notice people use Vodka when painting...does it evaporate so there is no alcohol in the cake? can it be used to hide/blend in the powdered sugar.

7 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 11:15pm
post #2 of 8

Vodka will get rid of powdered sugar residue. It does evaporate. That's why we use it instead of water, because it evaporates fast enough that it doesn't damage the fondant.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 11:20pm
post #3 of 8

and a step up from vodka is Everclear, if it's available in your area --- it's 190 proof meaning only 5% water

evaporates "like that" -- doesn't get fondant soggy at all. and no residue at all.

but -- it is highly flammable!

angel951747 Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 4:28pm
post #4 of 8

Thank you so much. I have been battling this for a while. I think I will try them both...just make sure I don't use fire of any sort icon_lol.gif

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 4:45pm
post #5 of 8

Another option is lemon or orange extract. I use it a lot.

angel951747 Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 10:15am
post #6 of 8

Does the lemona and orange extract have the same effect as vanilla extract or no because of the acidity? I want to avoid the "wet" look. Had a not so good weekend with some cakes. People look and are wowed by all my cakes but all I see is my mistakes. I want to get away from the soggy &/or wet look. Someone has a cake of a strawberry and that is the effect I want. Thanks, I'll get the extract as well

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 1:57am
post #7 of 8

I'm sorry, but I just now saw that you had asked about the extracts. Yes, they have the same effect as the vodka because of their high alcohol content. I live in a dry county and do not have alcohol readily avail. I do always have extracts around though. They dry/evaporate and do not leave a wet look. HTH

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 2:40am
post #8 of 8

If you don't want to use extracts or everclear you can also use a tiny bit of shortening and rub it gently over the white marks. Before using either method though you might want to take a soft dry brush and try to get off as much of the marks as you can (sometimes this is sufficient by itself).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%