Covering Cardboards For Tiers?

Decorating By susgene Updated 19 Aug 2009 , 2:15am by BlakesCakes

susgene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susgene Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 10:22pm
post #1 of 9

Do you always cover the cardboards you use for the tiered cakes?

I have always covered in Reynolds Wrap - just wondering if it was really necessary....

I'm talking about the boards under the smaller tiers on a multi-tiered cake - not the bottom board.

Thanks!

8 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 10:24pm
post #2 of 9

I always cover them. I use foamcore boards and they don't come wrapped up or anything, so I don't think they'd be safe without being covered. I just started using Press and Seal wrap...can't remember who first suggested it but she's a genius. It sticks itself to the boards very well and doesn't get torn up when you cut the cake. It looks really nice and clean too.

susgene Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 10:35pm
post #3 of 9

Oh Thanks! I never thought of using the foam core for the "internal" boards. I've always used the cardboard rounds but I can see why there would be benefits to using the foam core.

Think I'll try that next time.

Thanks!

pattigunter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattigunter Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 10:46pm
post #4 of 9

I use cardboard boards so I cover them with foil to keep them from absorbing grease from the buttercream.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 10:48pm
post #5 of 9

Nope, never.

susgene Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 11:02pm
post #6 of 9

Wow... Never ever?!

I guess that's the answer I was really hoping someone would give me... wouldn't mind cutting out this step if possible... guess it's possbile because you make a lot of cakes, Indydebi!

Thanks!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 11:07pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by susgene

Oh Thanks! I never thought of using the foam core for the "internal" boards. I've always used the cardboard rounds but I can see why there would be benefits to using the foam core.

Think I'll try that next time.

Thanks!

The reason I use foamcore is that I want the boards the exact size of the cake before I put frosting on. If I used cardboard rounds, I'd have to trim them to the size I need anyhow, so it's not much more trouble to use foamcore. I stock up when the craft stores have it on sale.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 11:13pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by susgene

Wow... Never ever?!

I guess that's the answer I was really hoping someone would give me... wouldn't mind cutting out this step if possible... guess it's possbile because you make a lot of cakes, Indydebi!

Thanks!

I also cut a lot of cakes. When I also do the catering for their wedding, I cut the cake. I see firsthand what condition the cardboard is in. Yeah, it may look wet, but it's not all icky, soggy, and it doesn't disintegrate like a lot of people think it does. It's cardboard .... not rice paper.

They hold up fine.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 2:15am
post #9 of 9

Nope, never cover them--I don't want anything (saran, Press n' Seal, aluminum foil, butcher paper, cellophane, parchment, wax paper, contact paper) being shredded by the knife and coming up in the cake slices. To me, that would be a lot worse than someone seeing a less than pristine cake board..............

I cut and sanitize (with a mild bleach solution or high alcohol booze or extracts) my foam core cakeboards.

Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%