Buttercream Question From A Brit :)

Decorating By sugarsugargal Updated 19 Aug 2009 , 3:41am by sweetcakes

sugarsugargal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarsugargal Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 5:08pm
post #1 of 7

i posted on here yesterday asking about the way you lovely u.s folk make your buttercream and i have another question, how do you make WHITE buttercream, when butter is yellow ?!?!? thanks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6 replies
EatSomeCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EatSomeCake Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 5:17pm
post #2 of 7

Try Sugarshack's buttercream recipe, in my opinion it tastes great, very creamy, and very easy to work with. The whiteness comes from the high-ratio shortening although you could substitute all or some butter depending on your preference but you will have an off white color. Use clear vanilla and high ratio shortening to keep it more white.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-5163-Sugarshacks-icing-and-Tips.html

EatSomeCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EatSomeCake Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 5:21pm
post #3 of 7

Try Sugarshack's buttercream recipe, in my opinion it tastes great, very creamy, and very easy to work with. The whiteness comes from the high-ratio shortening although you could substitute all or some butter depending on your preference but you will have an off white color. Use clear vanilla and high ratio shortening to keep it more white.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-5163-Sugarshacks-icing-and-Tips.html

Alicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alicakes Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 5:24pm
post #4 of 7

I use butter with the clear vanilla and have no problem with white. It almost seems the powdered sugar ( which is white) overcomes any yellowing. I prefer not to use shortening since my mission statement is to use fresh and natural from the farm ingredients when possible. The only problem is really hot days.

Kandy4283 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kandy4283 Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 5:30pm
post #5 of 7

3 TBSP milk or water (I prefer milk)
pinch of salt
2 tsp clear vanilla
1 1/2 tsp butter extract
1 1/2 cup crisco shortening
1 lb powder sugar

here is my receipe....I love it!! Never has done me wrong and in this you do not use the actual butter part of it, you just use a flavoring of butter and you can ever change that up to what ever flavorig in the future you are going to need!! Enjoy!!! And yes, it's very white! Maske sure you mix the first 4 ingredients before adding the crisco and powder sugar or it will turn lumpy on ya!

jamiekwebb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamiekwebb Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 5:31pm
post #6 of 7

I use cream chees, butter , shortening and powder sugar. All the white ingredients balance out the yellow butter. Or just add white food colr to it.

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 3:41am
post #7 of 7

sugarsugargal, you could try 1/2 butter and 1/2 trex and mix them two together well, it will lighten the colour of the butter, add your pwd sugar, and flavourings and liquids then put a teeny drop of violet in to cancel the yellow tone of the icing and make it appear whiter. you can use all trex if you want, i know it doesn;t sound great but thats how we make our icing white, with shortening.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%