How To Make A Treasure Map

Decorating By debiz1123 Updated 19 Aug 2009 , 1:37am by Molly2

debiz1123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debiz1123 Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 1:42pm
post #1 of 11

I have tried using the search function and nothing comes up under the forums, I've tried just treasure, just map and treasure and map and nothing, so sorry if this has been answered before.

Anyone that has made a treasure map, what did you use to make it old looking, what color to make the fondant look like parchment paper or whatever that color is? And if anyone has any other tips, I would love any help I can get.

Thanks so much!

Debbie

10 replies
alidpayne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alidpayne Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 1:58pm
post #2 of 11

when I want to make something look like aged paper I just cut the edges kinda ratty looking, and then I put a drop of warm brown color in some Everclear and brush it on to make it look aged. Very little color way more alcohol.

Let that dry completely and then paint on all your stuff.

debiz1123 Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 7:42pm
post #3 of 11

Thank you! So what color do I use to color the fondant, or do I want to start with it white?

Thanks!

Debbie

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 8:45pm
post #4 of 11

I made one out using white fondant/gumpaste mix and brushed it lightly on the edges w/copper luster dust. The treasure box in my photos.

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 8:58pm
post #5 of 11

If you want to make it look like parchment, you probably want to start with a sort of dark ivory color and then sponge or blot with a very thinned-out brown or tan. It'll give it that mottled look. I've never done it with fondant, but I used to make paper treasure maps using typing paper and tea, and that was how I did it.

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 9:07pm
post #6 of 11

debiz,
Did you search for "pirate" or "pirate chest"? Maybe there will be somethig under that heading.

debiz1123 Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 9:11pm
post #7 of 11

Thank you so much for the help and of course after I created this post this morning, I was able to search.........

If I can't find Everclear can I use something else, I was talking to someone I work with and he said I may not be able to buy it here in California.....I have no clue why?

Thank you again for your help.

Debbie

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 9:13pm
post #8 of 11

Everclear is illegal in some states, because it's kind of potentially deadly to drink even in small doses, or something. You can use high-proof vodka or some clear extracts, though--I think most people use lemon? I have Everclear because it's not illegal in my state, though it is one state down.

debiz1123 Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 9:24pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by FullHouse

I made one out using white fondant/gumpaste mix and brushed it lightly on the edges w/copper luster dust. The treasure box in my photos.

I must be blind (which isn't going to help me with making cakes, lol) because I don't see it...

Debbie

chikadodle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chikadodle Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 1:17am
post #10 of 11

You could also start with an ivory fondant (or marzipan) and then brush the distressed edges with dutch process cocoa powder. Good luck!
LL

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 1:37am
post #11 of 11

I made a map last month for my nephews pirate cake I used fondant and printed a edtable image I attached the image to the fondant with piping gel

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1418984

Molly

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%