Mmf Bows A Flop?

Decorating By Roxie_k Updated 18 Aug 2009 , 1:45pm by Texas_Rose

Roxie_k Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Roxie_k Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 1:35pm
post #1 of 4

I made my first batch of MMF a couple days ago and it tore when i put it on the cake...maybe I made it to thin? Then when I went to make a bow I couldn't get it to hold its shape. Do you think I need more icing sugar in it?

Thanks for any input

3 replies
bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 1:42pm
post #2 of 4

What was the consistency of it? Was it very sticky or more on the dry side?

NatalieMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NatalieMarie Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 1:44pm
post #3 of 4

MMF is not the best medium for making bows. You can make it from a 50/50 mix of fondant and gumpaste or just plain gumpaste. It's the tylose powder which gives it better consistency, more icing sugar just dries out your MMF.

It could be that your icing was rolled too thin. However, there are afew reasons why fondant cracks. It could be that you fondant was too dry, in that case, add some crisco or similar to the fondant to soften it. When you put your icing on the cake, make your there is not alot of excess paste. Fondant is heavy and this will be pulling on the corners of your cake. As you attach the fondant to the sides of your cake, pull up slightly, rather than pulling down and this will help prevent cracks.[/quote]

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 1:45pm
post #4 of 4

When you were making the bow, were you propping it up on something or draping it over something so it could dry? It takes at least a day for MMF to dry hard and if you take it off of whatever you're drying it on, or if you've got the bow stuffed with balled up plastic wrap and take that out too soon, it will not hold its shape.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%