Decorating By sugarandslice Updated 19 Aug 2009 , 9:12am by Elise87

sugarandslice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandslice Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 11:09am
post #1 of 8

Could someone please explain the technique of flooding. I think it's done with RI? Is that right?
I'm new to all this and I really don't have a clue icon_redface.gif

7 replies
tiggerjo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggerjo Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 11:49am
post #2 of 8

I have never heard of this. Exactly what is it that you are trying to do? This will give you a bump if nothing else.

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 11:55am
post #3 of 8

Flooding is done using a thinned down RI, yes. What you basically do is outline your design with RI, then "flood" the interior using a thinner RI, making sure to fill the design up as much as possible.

I know some people like to use the same consistency for both the outline and the interior when flooding small areas such as on a cookie, but its up to you and how fast you can work also.

Flooding can also be used to build up designs, layer upon layer as in bas relief work...you can find some great second-hand books that cover this very old cake decorating method (mostly English and Australian books). Flooding was often used (less so these days) in these countries to make rigid collars that sit around the top and/or bottom edges of fondant or RI-iced cakes.

Lee15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lee15 Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 11:57am
post #4 of 8

Flooding is also known as color flow. Take whatever picture you want to create a replica of and tape it flat on a stiff cardboard or wooden board. Cover with wax paper. Then use royal icing to outline the pattern. Then thin the royal out with water to create the flood. To know if you have a good consistency, I take some in a spoon or on a spatula then drop it back into the mix. Start counting and see how long it takes to meld back into the mix. If it takes somewhere between 5-7 seconds, then you have a good consistency. Place the mix in a parchment bag, tip optional, and start flooding the design. Once finished, let dry.

Hope this helps.

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 11:58am
post #5 of 8

emcm51...I just noticed you are actually from Australia too! You should have no difficulty in finding some older books with many instructions on how to do flooded designs. The International Svchool of Sugarcraft has a great series of three books which covers pretty much all the common decorating methods.



NatalieMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NatalieMarie Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 11:58am
post #6 of 8

If you're flooding cookies I would recommend buying the book 'Cookie Craft' by Valerie Peterson and Janice Fryer.

Not only are the cookie designs in there fab, but it fully explains the different techniques you can use for decorating cookies and tells you exactly how to do flood icing effectively.

sugarandslice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandslice Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 8:25am
post #7 of 8

Thanks so much everyone for explaining this technique to me and pointing me in the right direction for more books/info etc.
I would have responded sooner but I didn't get any notifications that there had been any responses ! icon_confused.gif
Now I'll have to whip up a batch of cookies to try it out!
Thanks again

Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 9:12am
post #8 of 8

Flooded RI cookies are so much fun and they end up with a nice finish/look

I use Antonia74's RI (in recipe section) which is really good for my cookies and flooded pieces for cakes and since your in Australia if you can't find meringue powder you can use 'Pavlova Magic' which is pavlova powder in the egg container you can find in the supermarket cose it is pretty much the same. Not sure where you are but i think it's sold all over aust.

HTH icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%