Some Help For Someone In The Uk ?!

Decorating By sugarsugargal Updated 18 Aug 2009 , 5:05pm by sugarsugargal

sugarsugargal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarsugargal Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 7:24am
post #1 of 5

I love thje sound of all your delicious buttercreams but we dont get the same ingredients here in the uk, i was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction for a good buttercream for piping a dam to keep the filling in ?! I have never used shortening and dont have a clue what to do with it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4 replies
mysonbronson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mysonbronson Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 7:39am
post #2 of 5

I have used sugarshack's buttercream and I like it maybe you can give that a try and see if you like it. Look in the recipe section and search for sugarshack.

sugarandslice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandslice Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 8:11am
post #3 of 5

You can always make buttercream without shortening ie all butter! Just add enough icing sugar to make it stiff enough for your dam.
Just a thought! We don't have the same stuff in Australia either.
icon_smile.gif

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 8:15am
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarsugargal

I love thje sound of all your delicious buttercreams but we dont get the same ingredients here in the uk, i was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction for a good buttercream for piping a dam to keep the filling in ?! I have never used shortening and dont have a clue what to do with it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nothing with shortening is delicious and it is incredibly bad for you! Stick with an all butter buttercream. If you want something that crusts over and is stiff enough for a dam (unlike the traditional UK buttercream), then this one works just fine (you can see from my pics that I do a fair amount of buttercream decorated cakes, and this is what I use):

250g butter (I prefer salted to cut the sweetness)
750g icing sugar
1 tbsp your choice of flavouring
2-3 tbsp water

Add everything together in a mixer bowl, starting with the 2 tbsp water. Beat on medium for around 5 mins. If the buttercream is too stiff, add the extra tablespoon of water and beat in for 1 more min.

HTH!

sugarsugargal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarsugargal Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 5:05pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks all ! that recipe is very similar to one i already use actually, just more icing sugar, will try these proportions icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%