Been In A Cave Somewhere And Missed Quilling!!!!

Decorating By MBHazel Updated 1 Apr 2011 , 8:43pm by imagenthatnj

MBHazel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBHazel Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 11:59pm
post #1 of 19

I just saw a great cake By Somethin-sweet, quilling. Don't know where I have been but I missed this art. The shapes and design look pretty simple, but it was so pretty, I must be missing something. I'd really appreciate some pointers!!!

MBHazel

18 replies
2chae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2chae Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 12:03am
post #2 of 19

I was just looking at the same cake. So cute! How do you "quill"? icon_redface.gif

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 12:13am
post #3 of 19

I love quilling! I wish someone wanted one!! icon_smile.gif

Somethin-Sweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Somethin-Sweet Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 12:36am
post #4 of 19

Thanks yall! Glad everyone loved this cake. This cake was was for a lady's 70th birthday, and the only request the client had was the colors......and she wanted it to be funky and fun. I thought forever how to incorporate the colors and remembered how my grandmother and I used to quill when I was a little girl............ (ha ha I'm only 33 but have always been crafty even as a kid!) so anyway I thought the birthday girl would appreciate the fact that I actually knew what the heck it was, because its somewhat of an old craft.............so this was my spin on it!

It was really quite simple.......rolled out gumpaste a little on the thick side.......cut strips using an herb mincer (I think thats what its called- got it at a kitchen gadget store) laid the pieces on its side and started forming the petals. After all of the petals were formed, I made the centers.....let everything dry overnight, and assemble them the next day using water mixed with tylose- Attach them to the cake using the same mixture. Just be sure the petals are really good and firm, so they will stand up. Good luck! Hope this cake inspires lots of ppl to "quill"............. icon_biggrin.gif

Somethin-Sweet Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 12:39am
post #5 of 19

Thanks yall! Glad everyone loved this cake. This cake was was for a lady's 70th birthday, and the only request the client had was the colors......and she wanted it to be funky and fun. I thought forever how to incorporate the colors and remembered how my grandmother and I used to quill when I was a little girl............ (ha ha I'm only 33 but have always been crafty even as a kid!) so anyway I thought the birthday girl would appreciate the fact that I actually knew what the heck it was, because its somewhat of an old craft.............so this was my spin on it!

It was really quite simple.......rolled out gumpaste a little on the thick side.......cut strips using an herb mincer (I think thats what its called- got it at a kitchen gadget store) laid the pieces on its side and started forming the petals. After all of the petals were formed, I made the centers.....let everything dry overnight, and assemble them the next day using water mixed with tylose- Attach them to the cake using the same mixture. Just be sure the petals are really good and firm, so they will stand up. Good luck! Hope this cake inspires lots of ppl to "quill"............. icon_biggrin.gif

cakelady31 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady31 Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 12:52am
post #6 of 19

Thank you so much for sharing that.! I also really like that cake thumbs_up.gif .In what way was the quilling used?. I have seen it somewhere before..... Maybe with paper?

deetmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deetmar Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 1:10am
post #7 of 19

I wanted to learn how to do this too, so I bought a couple books on "paper" quilling and learned that first. Globalsugarart also has some neat gadgets that help you cut the strips into different widths. And they also have the quilling tool, if you do a search on quilling. The kits are very inexpensive, like under $3. if you want to learn with paper first. I ended up having little quilled papers all over the house, I think hubby likes the gumpaste better!

http://www.globalsugarart.com/product.php?id=17010

Somethin-Sweet Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 1:15am
post #8 of 19

Yes, it was paper. I used to have this little tool that you wrapped tiny strips of paper around to make the different shapes. You could make tiny flowers and glue them together to make pictures. I have a couple in a frame. Very, very very delicate work. Much easier to execute with gumpaste! icon_lol.gif

deetmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deetmar Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 1:17am
post #9 of 19

My plan was to do a quilled wedding cake for the Fair competition this year, didn't happen. I was lucky to get any cakes done. I think quilling is so beautiful and there are some really great cakes that have been quilled.

You did a fabulous job with yours, you should be very proud!

CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 1:28am
post #10 of 19

It's amazing to see how other crafts blend into cakery. I just attended a demo of someone using caning to make flowers, leaves, and butterflies out of fondant. (Caning is used with claywork, like fimo.)
The quilling is fantastic! I saw it (paper version) on one of those craft TV shows...and doing it with gumpaste? Wow!

mommyandmecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyandmecakes Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 1:47am
post #11 of 19

I love this technique! You did an amazing job - I love your cakes. Can I ask a silly question-- how do you get your petals so uniform? Also, how wide are your fondant/gumpaste strips. This is absolutely gorgeous, thanks for sharing icon_smile.gif

Somethin-Sweet Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 1:58am
post #12 of 19

Thanks for the compliment! The strips are about 1/4 inch wide........cut them with an herb mincer. Cut the strips for the petals the same length, to make sure they are kinda the same size........other than that, I just kinda eye balled it. Once you get the strips cut and start playing around with it, it just kinda comes together. Give it a try! icon_smile.gif

mommyandmecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyandmecakes Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 2:05am
post #13 of 19

Wow! I wonder if my fondant gun would work for the strips? I have seen the strips look like ribbon and others look like "logs". Do you find one works better? Thanks again for sharing! This looks like a fun project to do with my kids, they love to get involved in making cakes icon_smile.gif

Somethin-Sweet Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 3:37am
post #14 of 19

I found they both worked about the same. I rolled thin logs for the black and pink flower..........then strips for everything else. Actually, my seven year old daughter did help me with these. Hers, however did not make it on the cake- because they ended up in her mouth! LOL!!

karennayak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karennayak Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 3:42am
post #15 of 19

Strangely enough, someone just pm-ed me today with questions about the quilling cake in my photos! (pink, three tiers).

I used my pasta machine for the first time. I was very happy with the result. It was not difficult to do, and in my opinion, looked stunning. thumbs_up.gif
Karen

CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 4:06am
post #16 of 19

What is an herb mincer?

Ballymena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ballymena Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 1:38am
post #17 of 19

It looks like a pizza cutter but with about a dozen wheels about 3/16" apart. Cuts nice strips all the same. Look in a kitchen gadget store.

Sipot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sipot Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 9:32pm
post #18 of 19

Wow, it's so neat to see Quilling on cakes, I do it with paper (http://sherimerasty.blogspot.com/) and never even thought about fondant quilling, I am so excited to try it on a cake now! My sister does Temari balls (string not cake) and today I also saw a post about that, beautiful!

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 8:43pm
post #19 of 19

I have a book by a designer from Argentina where she uses individual gradated petal cutters to shape the gumpaste/fondant around them, on the outside.

This kind of cutters:

http://www.globalsugarart.com/product.php?id=25669&name=Rose%20Petal%20by%20Framar%20Cutters

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%