Wow! My First Expo This Sunday!! Oh Plz Help Me

Decorating By shell62995 Updated 18 Aug 2009 , 5:30pm by shell62995

shell62995 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shell62995 Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 10:23pm
post #1 of 9

So I just got a last minute call. They need a cake decorator at a expo. They want to have one aimed for hispanic community. This is the first one offered in my area. They *think* it will be smaller like 200 ppl. I have no clue where to start. What flavors to offer up. How many samples to have on hand ect. I did figure I would have a cake dummy made up and pics of my past work. Someone plz guide me! A mist all of this school starts this monday so along with planning for the expo i have much school prep for my 2 kiddos too! I think it could be fun!

8 replies
reenie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reenie Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 11:47pm
post #2 of 9

I say mini cupcakes and at least one cupcake per flavor per guest. I'd stick to more traditional flavors (like vanilla cake, yellow cake and chocolate cake with buttercream) to get em hooked and then mention to them that you do offer other flavor combos. EX: If you did three flavors for the proposed 200 guests that would be 600 mini cupcakes- 200 of each flavor. Goooood luck girl! thumbs_up.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 12:17am
post #3 of 9

Just so I'm on the same page, is an expo different than a bridal show? icon_confused.gif

shell62995 Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 1:04am
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Just so I'm on the same page, is an expo different than a bridal show? icon_confused.gif

I dont know? Good question. I wonder.... I think I'm in over my head! Like WAY over! icon_cry.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 1:14am
post #5 of 9

I think they are the same thing. Some places say Bridal Expo and some say Bridal Show. But they both have the same thing going on. Brides looking for vendors and vendors giving out samples, etc.

Congrats on going! You'll do a great job I'm sure!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 1:19am
post #6 of 9

I found this other thread in the business forum. It's about bridal shows as well. Hope it helps. (Although I didn't read it).

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-647627.html

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 1:55pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by shell62995

Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I dont know? Good question. I wonder.... I think I'm in over my head! Like WAY over! icon_cry.gif

The reason I asked is because of the comment above that mentioned "guests", so I was confused.

If the show is expecting 200 people, I wouldn't bring 600 cupcakes or even 600 samples. not everyone will stop by the booth. yet, some will stop by with their entourage of 4 people. It's hard to guestimate.

When I do a show, I take vanilla cake witih a blop of BC icing on top. One flavor. Period. This is not a sampling consultation where they decide what flavor cake they want for their wedding. The bites of cake you disburse are to give them a sample of your baking skill. I've never had a bride ask for a 2nd sample nor ask if I have other flavors on hand. Even tho' I only do 1' squares of cake, some of them share that bite, so each person eating 3 cupcakes while walking around is a lot of cake for them.

I've done 200-count shows. I've taken between 350 and 400 samples and had cake left over. And my booth is always busy.

HarleyDee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HarleyDee Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 4:18pm
post #8 of 9

I was going to link to my thread about my first bridal show, thanks cylstrial! icon_smile.gif

I think only taking one flavor would be a good idea for you. Keep it simple, especially since you're short on time. Like Debi said, the samples are just to show you can bake a great tasting cake. If they want to use you, you can talk flavors later.

I am taking mini cupcakes for my show. Cupcakes about the size of a petit four.

Good luck! icon_smile.gif

shell62995 Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 5:30pm
post #9 of 9

I've decided not to do it. Its the last weekend before school and I always do something fun with the kids before school starts. I dont have an album ready or a dummy cake. Plus I'm not licensed and dont want any trouble! Thanks for all the info!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%