Cake Supports

Decorating By cannoliqueen Updated 17 Aug 2009 , 7:41pm by jardot22

cannoliqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cannoliqueen Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 7:24pm
post #1 of 3

We have all been watching the CAKE CHALLENGES on TV and I would like to learn more about creating the center column supports for these giant wedding cakes. Is there some rule of thumb? What material should be used? Plastic or Metal? How are the cakes cored for construction? Is there a plastic piece left in the cored area for easy assembly? What diameter should the center pole be? What's the best way to attach the center pole to the base and still have a flat surface to stack the first cake? And when one tier of the cake needs to hang over another, ( like a cake that looks like a very random stack of luggage) what kind of support goes between those layers? I currently use stressfree supports and these work great for normal stacked cakes up to about 5 tiers. Above that, the cake wants to lean. And if any of the tiers are separated to add a layer of flowers, it wants to lean on the tall cakes. I have a monster cake to create
in a few months. 8 tiers with two 8" risers for gumpaste flowers. It is for a celebrity client and this one needs to be perfect. Any sugguestions? Does anyone have a video on this? Or a list of construction material???

2 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 7:32pm
post #2 of 3

I don't know anything about large construction of these style of cakes but I noticed your name..Cannoi queen...My husband loves cannoli's..Do you have a good recipe for the dough and filling?

Welcome to CC!!! thumbs_up.gif

jardot22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jardot22 Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 7:41pm
post #3 of 3

I would really like to know more about this too! Everytime I see one of these challenges I always wonder what they are using and how the offset cakes stay put without collapsing. Sorry I can't help, but I'm curious too!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%