How Much Should I Charge For My Specialty Cakes?

Business By Saharan1965 Updated 19 Aug 2009 , 1:38am by snarkybaker

Saharan1965 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Saharan1965 Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 7:24pm
post #1 of 6

Im new to this stuff and the biggest problem Im running into is knowing how much to charge for certain things. I know basic cakes are per serving or per sheet but what about specialty cakes? For instance, I just made a pirate ship cake, a field and stream cake, and a tinkerbell pixie hollow cake. They are all different, and they all took different amounts of time and supplies to do. How can I price them the same way if they were different? Here is the tink one I did yesterday. How much should I charge for something like this?Everything was edible except for the fairies, the birds, fish, ladybug, and tree. This one was for my niece and my mom paid for the materials and I did it for her birthday. But now her friends parents want me to do their childrens birthdays coming up and they want the same type of cake.
LL

5 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 7:26pm
post #2 of 6

If you are doing 3D Style cakes which this is somewhat I would charge out per serving.I charge $5.00 per serving for my 3D Cakes.Some areas are higher or lower depending on the economy.

Great cake by the way!! Love it!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 7:53pm
post #3 of 6

Are you licensed? Because that will affect what your prices are.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 10:54pm
post #4 of 6

I charge a base price of $150 for 3-D cakes, so it would be at least that. That's a lot of detail, though, so I might have gone higher on the pixie cake.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 11:03pm
post #5 of 6

I dont' do carved cakes, but I do appreciate the time/talent involved to create those. I agree with costumeczar that you should have a base price and build from there, depending on the design.

A unique cake has a unique price. thumbs_up.gif

(I've had a few people ask me about carved cakes. Taking my cue from CC'ers, I've told them, "Those start at $150, before I even pick up a pencil or crack an egg." I've found it weeds out the tire-kickers!" icon_wink.gif )

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 1:38am
post #6 of 6

2-d cakes like that one start at $150, 3-D start at $250 in our shop.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%