Dry Cake

Decorating By sweetcakes2825 Updated 18 Aug 2009 , 6:34pm by vtcake

sweetcakes2825 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes2825 Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 6:26pm
post #1 of 5

I made a yellow cake from scratch and it was a little dry. Help! What did I do wrong icon_sad.gif

4 replies
vtcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vtcake Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 10:51pm
post #2 of 5

did you overbake it or use too high a temp? ( I bake at 325.)

I haven't baked a moist plain yellow cake yet, usually use box mixes, but the sour cream cake from scratch is wonderful.

you can also add 3/4 cup of sour cream to a box mix to add an extra ummph to the taste.

also, try brushing the tops of a scratch cake (after baking) with simple syrup (equal parts water and sugar, boiled) to add and retain moisture.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 11:47pm
post #3 of 5

There are so many factors as to why your cake was dry.....could be the recipe you used, the method/technique, baking time, oven temp.

I'm a "scratch only" baker, all of the recipes I use are very moist, I never use simple syrup (wet cake doesn't equal moist cake). I never understood the logic behind pouring syrup onto a cake......

It took me years of trial and error to perfect the recipes I use. Don't give up yet on scratch cakes, there are many many great ones out there, just as there are many many terrible recipes too.

Check out the "Yellow Cake Scratch-off" in the General forum...there is a lot of really good information in that thread.

sweetcakes2825 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes2825 Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 4:41am
post #4 of 5

Thanks so much will check out the thread, I am trying to be an only scratch baker as well just use the box in case of emergencey. My pound and chocolate have been fine just cant figure out this yellow. I guess I have to keep trying. I did use the simple syrup and I just know it was dry.

vtcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vtcake Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 6:34pm
post #5 of 5

I never pour the syrup on, only use my pastry brush. My cakes haven't been wet.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%