Italian Meringue Buttercream Questions

Decorating By tujy Updated 20 Aug 2009 , 11:20am by dnrlee

tujy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tujy Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 11:35am
post #1 of 4

Hi icon_smile.gif,

I wanted to attempt IMBC for the first time but i had a few questions about it. I'll probably follow the recipe on cakejournal or one off youtube..

1) can you make it without a kitchenaid type mixer? i've only got a hand held mixer and plastic mixing bowl...

2) can you substitute the egg whites with powdered egg whites + water? i've got powdered egg white/albumen (its not called meringue powder so it doesn't have anything else added to it that could give it a weird taste). will the powdered whites give the IMBC the weird taste that i've read that others have experienced when they used meringue powder?

3) will an IMBC made with powdered egg whites taste/ feel different to one made with fresh egg whites? if so whats the difference in results?

4) will it hold a piped swirl shape on cupcakes? at what kind of temperatures/weather will the swirls start to melt off the cupcake?

tiaicon_smile.gif

3 replies
Bunsen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bunsen Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 11:58am
post #2 of 4

Hi there,

Yes you can use a hand mixer - only thing is you need to keep it running for at least 10 minutes once you add the sugar so be prepared for some arm ache (when I first made it I used one of those mixers that is a hand mixer but also mounts on the stand if you know what I mean - so I avoided the sore arms but I know the mixer will do the job icon_wink.gif)

Not sure about the meringue powder questions as I've only used fresh egg whites...

Made with fresh egg it is perfect for piping swirls, holds really well, but I haven't tried it in hot weather yet so I don't know how well it holds up in the heat (making a batch this weekend tho so if this crazy warm spell keeps up I might be able to tell you!)

tujy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tujy Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 10:56am
post #3 of 4

thanks...

anymore advice out there?

dnrlee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dnrlee Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 11:20am
post #4 of 4

I like to use IMBC for my cupcakes - makes beautiful swirls and holds up well in warmer climates but....... I find it difficult to ice cakes with. I can't get seem to get the flawless shortening based BC look with it. It may be best to cover IMBC with fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%