1St Time Using 3D Bear Pan

Decorating By TYA7677 Updated 18 Aug 2009 , 1:05am by TYA7677

TYA7677 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TYA7677 Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 8:13pm
post #1 of 8

This is my first time using my 3d bear pan. I've read all the horror stories on here about how the baking core causes the bears face to break off. How long should I bake my cake without using the baking core? Thanks in advance!

7 replies
cs_confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cs_confections Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 8:26pm
post #2 of 8

I used my bear pan once and had success. After reading all of the horror stories, I used the following tips as I posted in a previous thread regarding the bear pan/problems (http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6488233-.html#6488233):

I made the bear once and, other than falling over at the beginning spilling in my oven (next time I'll use wire to secure him to the cookie sheet to ensure he can't tip over), he came out in one complete and filled out piece. I turned him into the Cookie Monster to serve with the Sesame Street Cupcakes.

Prior to making him, I researched online and compiled these tips from other bear pan users.

Use 2 mixes with pudding in the mix AND add one large box of dry pudding and 2 extra eggs.

Fill the bear pan to close to overflowing and bake on a cookie sheet.

It seemed some people preferred to use the core, while others didn't. I used it, but I did NOT fill it up with batter. The batter did overflow into it, though that part ended up being a little burnt, so I didn't use it. When I was ready to decorate, I iced the hole, filled with M&M and plugged the hole with the top of a cupcake.

Bake at 325 deg for 45-60 minutes.

I followed the cooling directions on the Wilton site exactly. Once cool, I wraped the bear in saran wrap and put the top half (with the face) of the pan back on and froze the bear. I left the heating core in since some said that bear collapsed in on itself when they removed the core.

Once frozen, I removed it from the freezer and let it start to defrost. I removed the core when it was slightly defrosted - it took a lot of twisting it and praying - I thought I was going to have to leave it in there!!--but it finally came free. Twisting as I pulled seemed to do the trick. That's when I frosted and filled the hole with candy.

I let him fully defrost before I crumbcoated him because I read that some had their icing slide off and it was determined because they iced the bear while still frozen.

The only thing that I wished I did differently was do the crumbcoat in the same color as his fur since the white crumbcoat could be seen through the fur in places.

TYA7677 Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 8:29pm
post #3 of 8

thank u so much! icon_smile.gif

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 8:57pm
post #4 of 8

When I baked mine I used the heating core, First close the two parts together with the clips that were provided, with the heating core inserted, then use a funnel to pour the batter in, PITA , I Know I use a pound cake recipe and mine worked with no problems Follow the Instructions on the box

TYA7677 Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 1:14am
post #5 of 8

I couldn't get the darn heating core in right, so I ended up baking the cake without it. It turned out well though. [/img]

TYA7677 Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 2:25am
post #6 of 8

Now I have another dilemma.... What's the best way to transport the cake?

cs_confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cs_confections Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 2:48am
post #7 of 8

I'm glad it worked out for you and you have a whole bear!

Put a dowel through the bear into your cake board. To box it, Wal-Mart has various size boxes in their shipping isle (by office/school supplies isles). I use these for all of my larger cakes. Instead of closing the top on top, I lay it on its side, slide the cake in and seal the flaps (so they are facing me. I use non-skid shelf liners under the cake board in the box and under the box when I load it in the car. Doesn't move at all!

Good luck!

TYA7677 Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 1:05am
post #8 of 8

thank u all so much.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%