Do You Offer Filling Choices For Stacked Wedding Cakes??

Decorating By The_Sugar_Fairy Updated 18 Aug 2009 , 12:34pm by -K8memphis

The_Sugar_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 7:44pm
post #1 of 17

Hi all! I got my first wedding cake order this week which I am so excited about, but I have a couple questions. Do any of you offer filling choices for tiered wedding cakes? I'm really nervous about using anything other than buttercream as filling because #1 most my fillings need to be refrigerated and the cake will be out of the fridge for quite a while and #2 it makes the cake quite unstable (I've noticed from previous experience even with the dowels etc.) What do you guys do? Thanks so much!

16 replies
classiccake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
classiccake Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 7:54pm
post #2 of 17

I use fillings all the time with no problems.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 8:06pm
post #3 of 17

I use fillings also ... the sleeved fillings. Very shelf stable. My brides get their choice of any filling, no extra charge.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 8:09pm
post #4 of 17

I too use fillings. But if you're not comfy and they didn't ask about it--no worries huh. If they are requesting it well, time to jump off the cliff but no problem with just buttercream fill. And you could flavor the buttercream too as a work around maybe.

If you do find yourself using it, spread it on like mayonnaise for a dieter.

I'd like for you to get your first cake under your belt and endure all that discomfort before using the fillings--it's an extra learning curve for sure.

But you'll do fine!

Lizzard1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lizzard1 Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 8:43pm
post #5 of 17

I use fillings for wedding cakes. One tip I would offer you is before you put the filling between the layers, pipe a thick boarder of bc. Then spread your filling between it. The bc acts as a barrier between the outside frosting and the filling. I usually dont add a tip, just the coupling! Hope this helps icon_smile.gif

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 10:21pm
post #6 of 17

I use fillings other than buttercream for almost all of my cakes... I rarely fill with buttercream. All of my fillings are made from scratch and require refrigeration through the construction of the cake, but as long as the cake is well chilled prior to delivery the few hours it is on display at the event are not a problem (unless of course it's an outdoor wedding on a 100+ degree day lol)

yummybravo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummybravo Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 5:48pm
post #7 of 17

I too am looking for filling that is shelf stable, but was wondering what sleeved filling is...

indydebi Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 6:07pm
post #8 of 17

Here are sleeve filling: http://countrykitchensa.com/catalog/SearchResults.aspx (if it comes up a blank page just enter "filling" in the search field).

They are made to go on cakes, shelf stable, spreads easy, shelf life of just short of forever, inexpensive (about $4.00 +/- per sleeve and I can get about 1.5 to 3 wedding cakes out of a sleeve, depending on the tier size.)

yummybravo Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 6:16pm
post #9 of 17

Wow! Thank you. This should help us out a lot. Are they as tasty?

indydebi Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 6:35pm
post #10 of 17

"as tasty" is as open to debate as the great "mix vs scratch" issue! icon_lol.gif I like almost every one I've ever tasted. (not fond the bavarian chocolate or the cream cheese, but that could be my personal taste).

yummybravo Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 6:44pm
post #11 of 17

Thank you again. I don't mean to be a pest, but how long can the cake sit out once it is assembled? I am not sure i will have enough room in my fridge to store the cake and was wondering if i needed to rent a fridge or freezer for a few days or if i could just keep the temp in the house low over night. My husband and i (i'm the baker he's the artist) are entertaining the idea of making our own wedding cake for next year and would like to start praticing now. thanks icon_smile.gif

indydebi Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 6:52pm
post #12 of 17

I never refrigerate my cakes. I usually start stacking/crumb coating on Thursday, then ice/decorate on Friday for a Saturday wedding. Twice I've refrigerated cakes and twice I've had icing problems. So never again. Spent 30 years not refrigerating cakes.

It honestly, in all these years, never even crossed my mind that a cake needed refrigerated. I grew up with aunts and grammas just having a cake sitting on their counter. We all ate it and it tasted great. It's just something I never, ever thought about doing.

To me, it would be like nailing your pantyhose to the wall to dry. icon_confused.gif It just would never cross your mind to do that.

yummybravo Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 7:03pm
post #13 of 17

Again, Thank you sooo much Indy. i can't wait until he gets home and i can share all of this with him. icon_razz.gif

mistymamas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mistymamas Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 8:34pm
post #14 of 17

How thick of a layer of filling is good?

HarleyDee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HarleyDee Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 11:11pm
post #15 of 17

I pipe a border around the outside of bc too. Helps hold it all in, and makes it more stable. Also, you can mix your fruit filling in with your buttercream, making a fruit bc. Obviously the texture changes, but you still get the fruit taste and the bc stability.

Cheri316 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cheri316 Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 3:24am
post #16 of 17

can you put white fondant over a cake frosted in chocolate buttercream, or will it show through. Does anyone have receipe for buttercream you can pipe but is not so sweet. Thank you!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 12:34pm
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheri316

can you put white fondant over a cake frosted in
chocolate buttercream, or will it show through.

Yes you can. No it doesn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheri316

Does anyone have receipe for buttercream you can pipe but is not so sweet. Thank you!

Swiss meringue buttercream or Italian meringue buttercream.
Google the recipe or check the recipe file here on CC.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%