Refrigerate Chocolate Fudge Filling???

Decorating By cs_confections Updated 1 Jun 2011 , 2:08am by gourmetsharon

cs_confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cs_confections Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 4:23pm
post #1 of 13

...okay to leave out?

A while back, I saw this recipe posted in a thread (can't remember by whom or which thread) and I wrote it down. I'm using it tomorrow on my BIL's birthday cake, but I need to know if I need to make room in my fridge to store this cake until the party Tuesday evening. The cake will be covered in buttercream.

The recipe was:
Chocolate Fudge Filling
Melt 2 cups chocoalte chips with can of sweetened condensed milk. Whip when cool. Add cream if too thick.

Also, can I make the filling tonight, refrigerate in a covered bowl, and spread it tomorrow on the cake? Or will the filling be set too hard by putting it in the fridge? I'm not sure about the consistency of this filling...I'm imagining something a little thick, but could be wrong...

Thank your for your time and any help you can give!

12 replies
Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 4:40pm
post #2 of 13

I've made this before. It works great and tastes even better! Yes you can leave it out (sugar is a preservative and there is enough sugar to keep it ok)- it won't ruin or anything but it does tend to get thinner as it warms up. By leaving it out for a long time (at least a few hours in direct sunlight), you run the risk of the layers sliding when you move the cake.

I made mine right before I was ready to use it and it was the perfect consistency. I think that if you refrigerated it, the chocolate would probably 'set' and the filling would be too thick to spread.

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 1:41am
post #3 of 13

So did you try it? How did it go?

cs_confections Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 4:09am
post #4 of 13

Yes, it worked great! I probably should have added even more cream than I did (only about a tblsp) because it was still a little thick, but it tasted great and held up well. I put it on the cake on Monday evening and decorated Tuesday afternoon. It traveled 40 minutes away and didn't slide one bit, so I was super happy!

It's the camo cake in my pics. Thank you again for your help and tips!

cs_confections Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 5:59am
post #5 of 13

Hmmm, that's odd. The title of this thread was changed. Didn't think I wrote anything wrong...guess I must have. icon_confused.gif

BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 4:18pm
post #6 of 13

I did not think it was called this when I began watching it. Hmmmmmm.

adree313 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adree313 Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 4:28pm
post #7 of 13

this sounds awesome, i want to try it!

i think the mods change the titles of the posts sometimes to generate more hits (i'm assuming that's why)... i've had it done to me a time or two.

woodruffbn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woodruffbn Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 4:32pm
post #8 of 13

So this is really ok to leave out?? Even with the milk in it???

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 4:47pm
post #9 of 13

condensed milk is super sugary, nothing at all like regular milk.
but most recipes, like bc ones, that call for regular milk are fine to leave out, because, again, the sugar works to preserve it.
xx

cs_confections Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 4:58pm
post #10 of 13

That's good to know, brincess_b. I only added a minimal amount of heavy cream in order to make it spreadable. I would have liked to add more to make it a little more creamy, but was afraid to. I think about 3 tbl would have made it about right.

Also, on my cake, I "buttered" both sides of each layer with a thin layer of buttercream, as well as made a dam. I was worried about the filling seeping into the cake pulling moisture from the cake, as well as the possibility of it causing the layers to slide.

cs_confections Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 5:01pm
post #11 of 13

I should also say that DH refrigerated a piece of leftover cake - when he cut off a slice, the filling was hard, like true fudge consistency. I think this is probably best at room temperature. The next time he cut a slice, he left it out to come to room temperature. He said the filling was a little firmer than it had been at the party, but was softer than when it was cold.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 5:29pm
post #12 of 13

Has anyone made this with white chocolate chips? Would you need to use more chips like you do with white ganache?

gourmetsharon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gourmetsharon Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 2:08am
post #13 of 13

found this old thread on google...

had a question....
if I made a cake with the fudge filling and refrigerated it then brought it to room temperature, will the fudge filling be hard or will it soften up??

Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%