How Do I Put Fondant On With 2 Different Colors

Decorating By Billabong Updated 16 Aug 2009 , 3:00pm by Billabong

Billabong Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Billabong Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 12:30pm
post #1 of 5

It seems so hard to make the seams match up.

Like the top cake on this picture, where top half is one color and the bottom is another color.
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1274622

Do I make 2 different colored fondants and after cutting the top one off on the cake, try to manually mold the other color into the seams of the other??? Seems like there is a better way to do it.

4 replies
NatalieMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NatalieMarie Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 1:01pm
post #2 of 5

Hi,

The way I would do this is to make the bottom colour first and wrap it around the side of the cake (so obviously measure the diameter of the cake to make sure it fits). Cut the wavy line with a pizza cutter or cutting wheel and remove the excess. Then lay the top colour over the cake. You'll be able to see the line you've cut and carefully follow this for your top layer. Don't worry about not making it exact as you'll cover it up with the snake of paste you put on afterwards. Obviously where you've got a seam from the bottom layer of your paste, start there when you make your snake of paste to keep it as neat as possible.

I hope this makes sense and good luck!

Billabong Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 1:36pm
post #3 of 5

thank you, that makes sense to start on the bottom part.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 2:27pm
post #4 of 5

I can't open the pic right now. Gallery must be in the shop. icon_smile.gif

Following NatalieMarie's (pretty name!) idea, it's actually easier to cover the whole cake in the TOP color. Then, roll out the color for the bottom, cut the wavy top (I'm assuming it's wavy), and wrap it around the bottom of the cake.

Billabong Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 3:00pm
post #5 of 5

I knew there had to be a easy brilliant way I was missing.

Thank you DianeLM, I´ll go with that one.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%