Buddy Uses Alpine! (Or Product Placement)

Decorating By grandmom Updated 21 Aug 2009 , 1:41am by CakeMommyTX

grandmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmom Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 11:44am
post #1 of 15

My husband is in the liquor industry and can Name That Product any time he sees a bottle of booze, from any angle and with label obscured, on TV or in a movie. Annoys me. But last night I got revenge!!

I was watching (and forcing him to as well) a Cake Boss marathon last night, and I noticed that brand names are prominently displayed. Well, in one episode, the camera paused on an Alpine label. I yelled out, "Buddy uses Alpine!". I got a glimpse of a big ol' bucket of Satin Ice. I refrained from yelling out because I already knew Buddy uses Satin Ice. Then I saw that big ol' Somerset sheeter, so I yelled out, "Man... Buddy's got a Somerset - and the big one, too!"

I intend to persist in this behavior until he gets the point!!

BTW, if Buddy, leahs and indydeb use Satin Ice, then it should be good enough for me. I'm gonna try it. And now I see Buddy uses Alpine, as does leahs (don't know about indydeb), so that should be good enough as well!! As you may have guessed, I soak up every word leahs and indydeb write...

14 replies
foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 1:48pm
post #2 of 15

LOL-
I just had his bc last nite! My parents went to NJ and brought me back a cooler full of goodies! A 6" cake w/ vanilla and choc layers with fudge filling. Tons of cannoli's (separate filling and shells so they didn't get soggy) and cookies!
His bc is delicious, and I was wondering what he uses... Thanks! I already use Alpine, so that's one less thing to wonder about icon_wink.gif

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 2:26pm
post #3 of 15

alpine??? what is it?

I too would like to know where he buys his buttercream, ganache etc.. I always see these huge buckets of fillings, icing and think man that would be so much easier than making my own.

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 2:35pm
post #4 of 15

Alpine is a hi ratio shortening used to make buttercream.

sweetcravings Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 4:47pm
post #5 of 15

Thanks

CeeTee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CeeTee Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 8:16pm
post #6 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcravings

alpine??? what is it?

I too would like to know where he buys his buttercream, ganache etc.. I always see these huge buckets of fillings, icing and think man that would be so much easier than making my own.

I think Buddy makes his own icings and fillings, just he does them in huge batches ahead of time and stores them in buckets for when he needs them. A lot of high volume custom bakeries do this so they don't have to spend so much time on making stuff from scratch the day they gotta do the cake.

sweetcravings Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 2:07pm
post #7 of 15

Thanks CeeTee, makes complete sense.

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 6:13pm
post #8 of 15

Ha ha. When I see those items on TV shows or used by professionals, it makes me feel like I actually know what I'm doing. icon_smile.gif I use Alpine and Satin Ice too.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 6:33pm
post #9 of 15

Same here, I use Alpine!

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 8:29pm
post #10 of 15

I use Santin Ice and still not happy about the taste.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 8:35pm
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rylan

Get jennifermi (Jennifer Dontz) DVD and try her semi homemade chocolate fondant. Taste good and so easy to work with. Be sure to use the fondant she recommends as satin ice doesn't work.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 1:07am
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rylan

Get jennifermi (Jennifer Dontz) DVD and try her semi homemade chocolate fondant. Taste good and so easy to work with. Be sure to use the fondant she recommends as doesn't work.

I actually have her dvd already. I still haven't tried it because I don't have the exact ingredients she recommends.

BaBa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BaBa Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 1:14am
post #13 of 15

I have used both Satin Ice and Pettinice and i prefer the Pettinice, the chocolate tastes just like a tootsie roll. I have ordered some fonderiffic, have heard it is the best, can't wait to get it.

CareyI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CareyI Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 1:19am
post #14 of 15

I just started using Satin Ice and I am pretty pleased with it...I did have the black bleed onto my buttercream though...never had that happen...any tips. Also..I am going to look into the Alpine...I have been having trouble with my Buttercream seperating lately and I am perplexed...I just do a half butter and half shortening one...any help or thoughts/
?

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 1:41am
post #15 of 15

Does Buddy use cake mixes? I was watching the episode were the water turns brown and he yells to the other guys to "not make any mixes"?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%