Edble Silver/gold Paint?

Decorating By tideeboo_larkilou Updated 16 Aug 2009 , 7:32pm by BlakesCakes

tideeboo_larkilou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tideeboo_larkilou Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 5:02am
post #1 of 5

Hey, does anyone know what that edible silver paint is that they use on all the cake shows? I have tried mixing my fondant to look grayish and then painting it with silver dust, but that doesn't look metallic. What the crap is Buddy using to make his stuff look metallic? PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!

4 replies
Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 5:31am
post #2 of 5

i don't know exactly what they use as i havn't seen the show but i do know there is such a thing as edible gold and silver paint

Here is website that shows an example of it (not silver though) but most of the websites i have found are from here in Australia or the UK, havn't found one from America:

http://blossomsugarart.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6_77&products_id=1011

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 5:41am
post #3 of 5

Probably the easiest thing would be airbrush color. Amerimist silver airbrush color really looks silver. I don't own an airbrush so I just paint it on with a paintbrush. If you want to see how silver it looks, in my photos the monogram on the wedding cake was done with it over white fondant, and the eyelets on the corset cake were painted onto black fondant...both came out nice and metallic-looking.

You can order the airbrush colors wherever they sell Americolor, or maybe at a local cake decorating shop. I bought a big bottle for $8 and it doesn't seem to take much paint to get the job done.

Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 5:44am
post #4 of 5

yeh you would only want to buy the paint if you only needed to add details or paint smaller areas cose otherwise it would be too expensive

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 7:32pm
post #5 of 5

I use Beth Parvu's pearlized Crystal Colors. Her Bright Silver (looks white in the container) and Gold are fantastic--edible and Kosher. They're the only metallics I use for edible items.

They're not cheap, but they go a long, long way. I mix them with Everclear or high alcohol lemon extract.

Beth is a great lady. She answers questions promptly.

http://www.sugarpaste.com/catalog/orderPearlColors.htm

The entire cake pictured below is covered in Bright Silver--hand painted.

HTH
Rae
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%