Who Wants To See Part Of My Shop?

Business By jillmakescakes Updated 19 Aug 2009 , 12:51am by cakefanatic

jillmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillmakescakes Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 3:10am
post #1 of 44

So its taken a while, but here are some pics of the lobby part of my shop. I also have few shots of the kitchen. The kitchen shots are kind of old (we've put WAY MORE stuff in there since the pics). but still a good shot.

On the lobby, I'm just waiting to get some big cake pics developed for the bare walls. In the kitchen, you'll never guess what I paid for my two fridges and the oven. I'll let a few people guess, then I'll tell you..... icon_lol.gif

ok- I'm gonna try to add the kitchen pic in a separate post
LL
LL
LL
LL

43 replies
jillmakescakes Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 3:12am
post #2 of 44

ok- here's the kitchen
LL

veronica720 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veronica720 Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 3:13am
post #3 of 44

I love the colors. The circle wall is great, can't wait to see more when you are finished

wholden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wholden Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 3:19am
post #4 of 44

Wow! I'm so envious!! I've only been decorating a short time for fun. I own a hair salon that pays the bills, but would love to change careers someday. Your bakery is beautiful. Thanks for sharing your pics.

chachagyrl22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chachagyrl22 Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 3:19am
post #5 of 44

Congrats! The space is beaufitul.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 4:00am
post #6 of 44

Congrats on the new bakery. It looks great, can't wait to see the pics put up. icon_smile.gif

CakeForte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeForte Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 4:11am
post #7 of 44

Congrats! I love how you have the dummy cakes on the counters in the window. Is there anything "in" the counters that show through the front of the window?

Thanks for posting!

grandmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmom Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 11:21am
post #8 of 44

Gee Whiz!! That's gorgeous! I am so happy for you, and feel so sorry for myself!!

I have no experience with commercial baking, just home baking, but have dreams of a licensed kitchen in my basement. I'm obsessed with the details, and one of the things I can't get worked out in my head is cooling racks. Is that thing the apron is hanging on used for cooling? I've seen the bun racks online, and thought they might work if wire racks could be substituted for the trays. Do the commerical guys do it that way?

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 11:42am
post #9 of 44

Jill - your bakery is BEAUTIFUL!!

$20,000 for the two fridges and the oven. Ok, ok, tell us how much you paid!!

jhutch04 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jhutch04 Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 11:55am
post #10 of 44

I'm so jealous!!! I would love to have a shop of my own. However, I'm stuck at the moment, I don't feel I make enough to open a shop, there are no incubator kitchens or kitchens for rent within an hour of me. Someone suggested looking at forclosure homes for cheap, that can be zoned commercial. Still scared though, and don't see how I can afford it. So jealous! icon_sad.gif

klat7292 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klat7292 Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 12:02pm
post #11 of 44

BEAUTIFUL!! thumbs_up.gif Congratulations and thanks for sharing your space with us!! I know for me, it really encourages me to see others succeed in something that they love doing; if you can do it than we can do it too!! icon_biggrin.gif

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 12:48pm
post #12 of 44

Wow, I love your lobby. It is decorated so nicely. Very inviting and cheery. And --- I am so jealous of that kitchen! I'm just a hobby baker/decorator, but like many others dream of it being my occupation. I would love to have a nice kitchen just for my obcession. It would make things so much easier and quicker not to have to go to my "cake room" where I store everything to get my supplies each time I decided to decorate a cake.

jillmakescakes Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 12:53pm
post #13 of 44

Thanks for the compliments!

cylstrial: Not even close!!! However, I did price the oven new online and it would have been $20k if it were brand new. As it turned out, I got the oven for $800 (full working order, just had to travel about 200 miles to get it) The fridges were a grand total of $50.00. Yes, that 's right $5-0.00!!! They other work great and have from day one!!!

Cake forte: No, there isn't anything "in" the counters. My DH designed and built them. We discussed different ways of making it storage space, but nothing seemed to work quite right without looking awkward. Also, we wanted to make them strong enough to hold a lot of weight so that we could really load them up with display cakes. I just haven't had the time to load them up!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 12:53pm
post #14 of 44

It's awesome, Jill. Way cool.

cylstrial Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 12:59pm
post #15 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillmakescakes

Thanks for the compliments!

cylstrial: Not even close!!! However, I did price the oven new online and it would have been $20k if it were brand new. As it turned out, I got the oven for $800 (full working order, just had to travel about 200 miles to get it) The fridges were a grand total of $50.00. Yes, that 's right $5-0.00!!! They other work great and have from day one!!!

Cake forte: No, there isn't anything "in" the counters. My DH designed and built them. We discussed different ways of making it storage space, but nothing seemed to work quite right without looking awkward. Also, we wanted to make them strong enough to hold a lot of weight so that we could really load them up with display cakes. I just haven't had the time to load them up!

OH my gosh! That's amazing Jill!! I mean crazy amazing!! Lucky thing! icon_smile.gif

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 1:05pm
post #16 of 44

OMG your space is gorgeous and very beautiful can you say both in the same sentence, well I did, love the colors, Congratulations and May God bless your Business, I am excited for you, you would have thought it was I that opened a shop How Happy I am, anyway is it a storefront or part of your home,

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 1:58pm
post #17 of 44

Oh Jill it's perfect! I wish you much success!

Congratulations! party.gifprincess.gif

jillmakescakes Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 2:35pm
post #18 of 44

this is a separate storefront. on the plus side, it is a grand total of 3 miles from my house! it makes it very easy to head back over after the boys are in bed (with DH home, of course) to finish up anything, catch up, or even get a little ahead.

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 3:10pm
post #19 of 44

Very nice, Jill!!! Congrats on the shop and your good finds!!! thumbs_up.gif

Cake_Bliss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Bliss Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 3:24pm
post #20 of 44

Congrats!! It looks amazingicon_smile.gif

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 3:38pm
post #21 of 44

Beautiful! Congratulations and good luck with your business!

karapags Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karapags Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 3:51pm
post #22 of 44

Your shop looks amazing!! Best of luck with it.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 3:52pm
post #23 of 44

FLippin' beautiful!!! Nice!

chefjulie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjulie Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 4:08pm
post #24 of 44

Lovely!!!

teachingmyself Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
teachingmyself Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 4:42pm
post #25 of 44

Since I am a newbie, this may be a dumb question to most of you, but first, congrats and I love your shop! I know those are dumby cakes, but what have you frosted them in to keep? I probably should know this answer, but I don't.

cylstrial Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 7:37pm
post #26 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachingmyself

Since I am a newbie, this may be a dumb question to most of you, but first, congrats and I love your shop! I know those are dumby cakes, but what have you frosted them in to keep? I probably should know this answer, but I don't.

I'm guessing they are fondant. Fondant cakes will keep for years. (If the light doesn't turn them to another color). But you can also use buttercream on them!

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 8:11pm
post #27 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by cylstrial

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachingmyself

I'm guessing they are fondant. Fondant cakes will keep for years. (If the light doesn't turn them to another color). But you can also use buttercream on them!

and even royal icing.

Lizzard1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lizzard1 Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 8:31pm
post #28 of 44

So lovely! Congratulations! Best wishes for you shop icon_biggrin.gif

maryjsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryjsgirl Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 10:34pm
post #29 of 44

It looks great!

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 10:47pm
post #30 of 44

I am so jealous ... and happy for you! thumbs_up.gif It looks wonderful! I hope I can do the same one day.

Do you specialize in cakes only? That is, are you a full bakery, or just pre-ordered cakes? Looks like just cakes to me, but since you said you're not done filling in the spaces, I'm curious.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%