I Need A Break...

Decorating By Jayde Updated 18 Aug 2009 , 12:42am by Jayde

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 1:05am
post #1 of 17

Mostly because I HATE carving. I just dont hate it, I think that I loathe carving. Plus I hate making cakes for Sundays!! UGH! So I am taking a quick break to check in with my CC buddies.

I am working on a Christening cake for a very good friend of mine, but I hate carving out the cross! Why or why didnt I just make her a no-frills sheet cake?? Why did I have to get all crafty and suggest a carved cake? I disgust myself.

Anyways, I am thrilled with how my figures turned out, even though I think the lamb is a little larger than the lion (I am my own worst critic). Heres a picture!

What is everyone else working on?
LL

16 replies
snshin1993 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snshin1993 Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 1:12am
post #2 of 17

they are just perfect! Great job

juliebold Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juliebold Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 1:12am
post #3 of 17

I just love these two. Can I ask how you did them? Can wait to see the final cake. I don't have anything this weekend YEA a well needed break. But next weekend is another story.

EatSomeCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EatSomeCake Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 1:17am
post #4 of 17

You are so funny! Sometimes I feel like that too, I think I have a love/hate relationship with cakes yet I keep going back to make more!

The animals are so awesome, they look just Lorraine McKay's....excellent job!

Jayde Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 1:30am
post #5 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliebold

I just love these two. Can I ask how you did them? Can wait to see the final cake. I don't have anything this weekend YEA a well needed break. But next weekend is another story.

Since I am procrastinating, sure! Figures aren't as hard as I thought they would be. Its mostly just taking basic shapes and schlepping them together. Most of the animals start with a large teardrop shape for the body. The legs are just sausages (as Lorraine calls them) that have one fatter end. The head is a little more difficult to get into the right shape, but I have been known to play with it for 20 minutes before I am satisfied with the shape of the head.

After that you just add details, hair, fur, eyes, mouth, etc. If you go to youtube and look up Aine2, she has an amazing set of instructional videos. You can also purchase videos from her on how to make people, babies, animals, etc. She has a bunch of great videos out there. Also, Lorraine is super sweet, if you pm her she will answer anything and give you tons of encouragement. She convinced me to branch out and try animals other than just teddy bears, which when i mastered I HAD to put teddy bears on everything, I even tried to convince a 7 year old to let me put teddy bears on her cake...

juliebold Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juliebold Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 1:41am
post #6 of 17

Thank you so much. Actually I just order some of her videos. I can't wait to see them. You made me laugh about the 7 year with the teddy bears. But I know what you mean. Once you like doing something you kind of go crazy. Thanks again.

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 4:37am
post #7 of 17

Those are adorable little critters!!!!

You asked what we were working on . . . Well, I just finished what I thought was my best cake yet, so I rushed to CC and uploaded it. It's only gotten 2 comments so far, both saying that they liked the cake stand!!!! So, I guess I won't be getting too big for my britches anytime soon, except from eating cake that is! LOL

cupcakeco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakeco Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 5:34am
post #8 of 17

I'm not working on anything now.. but this time last week I was just putting on the finishing touches for a Coach bag cake. And I agree Sunday cakes can be crappy, because they seem to just eat up your whole weekend!!

Jayde Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 2:01pm
post #9 of 17

Ok, so at 1 am last night I was about to strangle someone. My BC was crusting too fast and kept peeling off of the cake, I could NOT get it smooth or anything that resembled smooth. Those corners were giving me fits, and I made the mistake of cutting out the pieces not on top of one another, but separately so I had to go back and retrim after stacking icon_rolleyes.gif . She wanted filling, so I made the cake with 2 layers. I swear I have to get a new cross pan if this is going to become a regular thing, the old one was getting rusted so I tossed it to err on the side of caution.

So I stuck the mess in the fridge and prayed that I could salvage my dignity in the morning. Well at 5 am I get back to the cake and start to work my magic. The fondant job wasnt as smooth as I would have liked, but that was due to this new icing recipe and my BC ineptness, see there is a reason I am exclusively fondant.

Anyways I just got finished with it this morning and taadaaa! Here she is:

Thanks guys for procrasting with me last night...
LL

percussiongrrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
percussiongrrl Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 2:29pm
post #10 of 17

Beautiful! I love it!

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 2:41pm
post #11 of 17

That cake is beautiful, I love it

And JGMB Your Cakes got more than two comments, I t even went to my faves you should check your comments again

And can you guys please tell me the names of those books or provide a site I suck at making Figures and I always adore them

mjk350 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjk350 Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 3:59pm
post #12 of 17

Fantastic job!!! And the animals are adorable!! thumbs_up.gif

teachingmyself Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
teachingmyself Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 4:37pm
post #13 of 17

Way to cute animals, love your roses!

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 9:42pm
post #14 of 17

It turned out so-o-o-o cute!

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 1:23am
post #15 of 17

Those animals are so adorable.

ThreeDGirlie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThreeDGirlie Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 1:57am
post #16 of 17

Your critters are adorable, and the cake turned out great!

On a side note: You can use (3) 9"x5" loaf pans to avoid having to carve a cross out of a sheet cake. I made the following cross by putting 2 loaves end to end to make the length (trimmed up the ends to make them fit flush), and then I cut a third loaf cake in half and placed it on either side to make the arms. I baked the loaf pans mostly full and then torted them to fill... I liked this because I didn't have to buy a cross pan, but I also waste all that cake, and I didn't have any crumby cut edges to frost!

Hope that helps in the future!
LL

Jayde Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 12:42am
post #17 of 17

Cute cake ThreeD! I dont have loaf pans in the bakery. Mostly sheet pans and a few of those character Wiltons, that place is so archaic!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%