Baking Cake In Bowl ?

Decorating By mandymomof3 Updated 16 Aug 2009 , 3:31pm by cakegrandma

mandymomof3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandymomof3 Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 7:01pm
post #1 of 7

Hey everyone - I am trying to bake a cake in a bowl to turn upside down and be the bottom of a wedding gown. How do I make sure that the cake batter in the middle gets done?

It's a medium size bowl, about 10 inches around and I'm afraid that the outer edge will be burnt by the time the inside gets done.

How do you all do it? Thanks.

6 replies
CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 7:28pm
post #2 of 7

You need a heating core. If you have a wondermold pan, I rig the center pole from it with wire to stay in center. Of course, you'd probably be using one of those for the dress if you had one, so this isn't much help.
I heard of one person getting a large long (new) nail at the hardware store to use as a core. You'll want to thoroughly wash it first as they usually have oil on them from manufacturing.

davespeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
davespeg Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 7:31pm
post #3 of 7

Hi
It's a heating core that is used, but I'm not sure if that's the official name that it's called.. I have seen them at Michael's and I know you can get them at a cake supply store. I used a metal flower nail for a 16" round that worked great, but it definetely would not work for a cake as deep as this. Good luck and I hope this helped.

mandymomof3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandymomof3 Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 7:41pm
post #4 of 7

Thanks. I think I have one for a circle cake pan of mine, and I've used the teddy bear one before too. I think I'll give that a try and see if it works. Thanks for your help.

Rosiepan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosiepan Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 7:51pm
post #5 of 7

I have made lots of doll cakes cooked in 2 pint pyrex pudding bowl without anheatig core. I just lowered the shelve and cooked on a lower heat. No probs.

pamperedcheftiffany1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pamperedcheftiffany1 Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 3:13pm
post #6 of 7

The key to a good doll dress cake in a bowl is to make sure you use a GLASS bowl. if you use a metal bowl it will burn, and if you use a metal heating core in a glass bowl you chance breaking the bowl. You will need to cook the cake a little longer than normal, and your outside will be brown not golden.

I do Doll cakes almost weekly, and I just use a Pampered Chef Classic Batter Bowl for the min doll and if I am doing brides maids I use Pampered Chef glass prep bowls for the smaller dolls.

cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 3:31pm
post #7 of 7

You can use a metal bowl along with a flower nail in the bottom of the bowl. I always set my oven temperature at 325 to bake all my cakes as this helps to not get the uneven top on my cakes. I hope this has helped you some. Good luck!!!
evelyn

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%