Fondant/gumpaste Leaves For Pineapple Cake

Decorating By Shannaks Updated 10 Oct 2009 , 11:10am by Caths_Cakes

Shannaks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shannaks Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 3:36pm
post #1 of 3

Hi all
I am having a pineapple themed party for my daughter for her first birthday and she is getting her own mini pineapple cake cake. I am making it stand upright like a pineapple but am having trouble figuring out how to make the leaves/stem out of fondant/gumpaste. I have made a pcartice cake ( the party is next weekend) and am playing around with the leaves. I want to make them look as real as possible. Any tips or hints or suggestions are greatly appreciated. I have seen a few pineapple cakes in the gallery that have amazing gumpaste leaves. The cake is too small to put a real pineapple stem as a topper

Thanks!
Shanna

2 replies
krissyh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krissyh Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 9:41am
post #2 of 3

Did you find a solution that worked? I made a pineapple shaped cake a few years ago and made the leaves for the top out of fondant, allowed them to dry overnight, then stuck them down in the cake... unfortunately the butter cream icing caused the fondant to breakdown and the leaves all broke off. I am making another this weekend and I am so nervous and unsure of how to make the leaves so that won't happen again. This time, I made fondant leaves with wires inside (2 layer leaves... like making stars on wires) but I am not sure if this will work. My only back up plan is to use artificial leaves. Any suggestions are welcome! Hope your daughter's cake turned out great!

Krissy

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 11:10am
post #3 of 3

I would of suggested wiring your leaves with a good strong wire, possibly a 20 or 22 gauge, so that the leaves will have a good support as there quite long and spindely.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%