Need Help From All You Fondant Makers!

Decorating By sugarMomma Updated 15 Aug 2009 , 10:22pm by onlymadaresane

sugarMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarMomma Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 3:18pm
post #1 of 9

Whose fondant recipe do you use? There are so many...

I asked this a different way recently, but was surprised there were only a couple replies. Both voted for Michele Foster's, and there is also Toba Garrett's, Rhonda's Ultimate MMF to name a few.

I usually buy Satin Ice for it's consistency, but will have to try making fondant again. Used a random MMF recipe in the past, but after coloring it it was too soft and stretchy. I want some opinions before I go that route again.

I made my own gumpaste a few times, but am sold on the Nicholas Lodge recipe for consistency and pliability. Even over store-bought gumpaste.

Any opinions about home-made fondant?

8 replies
__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 3:22pm
post #2 of 9

Yeah, MMF=ick! Michele Foster is pretty tootin good. I don't see ever making those others you mentioned cause I am so pleased with the kind I use. Satin Ice, I'll use it if I have to.

Cake_Bliss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Bliss Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 3:27pm
post #3 of 9

I use MFF and really love iticon_smile.gif

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 4:04pm
post #4 of 9

I have made homemade MMF and also found it too stretchy and hard to roll out..Like a spongy pizza dough.I did like the smooth finish it gave me...I have used Satin Ice but found that it dried out quickly especially the colors like red and black.(Haven't tried the white though) I use a fondant that I get locally from Dawn Foods called Deccorice...which is white fondant and it smells like Cotton Candy and tastes really good.I don't use alot of fondant because my customer base won't pay the price for it and most don't like the texture and taste so I basically use it for embellishments like flowers,bows.

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 9:39pm
post #5 of 9

I love MFF - especially with white chocolate added! I have not used any bought fondant other than Wilton but I love how the MFF is so easy to work with and it tastes so good!!

Cake_Bliss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Bliss Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 9:45pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrycakes

I love MFF - especially with white chocolate added! I have not used any bought fondant other than Wilton but I love how the MFF is so easy to work with and it tastes so good!!

I want to try it with the white chocolate next time I make it. It sound delish! How much do you usually add?

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 9:51pm
post #7 of 9

I probably was one of those people that said Michele Foster, because that is the only one I have ever made and liked it, I have never made MMF because the reviews on here said Michele's was easier to make, so that was the one I tried, I bought Satin Ice, liked the taste but hated the elephant skin, Fondarific is awesome but a littlte more expensive, and choco Pan is great also because it is chocolate but it got soft when I added gel colors and it was about 70 degrees

NatiMF30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NatiMF30 Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 9:52pm
post #8 of 9

I have enjoyed using MFF and recently made chocolate MFF but have not used it yet. MFF is the way to go for me as far as covering a cake. MMF was too stretchy but still tasted ok. I'll use it for smaller decorations but not for covering. i'll have to try the white choc too!

onlymadaresane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onlymadaresane Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 10:22pm
post #9 of 9

I like the MMF. That being said I've not made Michele's version yet. Maybe this week...

The MMF I use covers the cake well. I've not really made a whole lot of embellishments yet- so I can't comment on that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%