Which Kitchen Aid Mixer Should I Buy?

Decorating By momba5 Updated 16 Aug 2009 , 12:56am by alidpayne

momba5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momba5 Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 6:49pm
post #1 of 15

I purchased some cake pans on-line and when they came I was not happy with them... should have consulted CC'ers before I made my purchase! Now I want to buy a kitchenaid mixer. Which one should I buy?

14 replies
Edit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Edit Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 6:53pm
post #2 of 15

I'm very satisfied with my 6qt mixer. You might want to buy an extra bowl and beater with it, too.

Clovers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Clovers Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 7:11pm
post #3 of 15

Do people have the tilt head or the bowl lift options? (I'm using a tilt head, but I'm curious how the bowl life works, because I hate the tilting head most days)

sugarMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarMomma Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 7:18pm
post #4 of 15

Sorry about your cake pans, I swear by Magic Line, hands down.

If you are planning on doing volume, get a larger mixer.
If you are whipping up normal sized batches, go with an Artisan.

I have both the KA Pro-600 and an Artisan. I got the Pro-600 first as a gift, but got an Artisan for myself for the tilt head (the other has a bowl lift).
They sit side-by-side on my counter but I seem to use the Artisan more because I like the convenience of a tilt-head, and it's a better size for whipping. When I am doing larger jobs with more batter, I use the Pro.

Good luck, HTH! You won't be disappointed either way. Ebay has a bunch of KA, but after shipping costs I found it cheaper to go to BedBathBeyond with a coupon.

sugarMomma Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 7:21pm
post #5 of 15

Clovers, the bowl lift is ok, but it makes it more difficult to add ingredients without making a mess. The tilt head is so much more convenient!

Clovers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Clovers Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 7:33pm
post #6 of 15

Going by the name, the bowl obviously lifts on Bowl Lift.. but what's the point in having it lift up? From the pictures, it seems like there is a lot of space between the bowl and the top of the head of the mixer.. what's the lift for?

dutchy1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dutchy1971 Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 8:07pm
post #7 of 15

I absolutely love my 6qt KA. I prefer the lift bowl to the tilt as space is an issue for me, My Kitchen I can literally stand with arms outstretched and touch both walls and I have no counter space. Apart from than that, the higher powered motor is nice especially when making fondant less strain on the motor is a good thing.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 8:27pm
post #8 of 15

you DROP the bowl to add stuff (with beater turned OFF -- don't ask how I know icon_rolleyes.gif)

and then LIFT the bowl to mix (ok now turn it on -- slowly to start and then ramp it up)

DITTO - to extra bowl

and KA is now making a special with 3-qt bowl and matching beater for the 5qt and 6qt lift bowl models.

tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 8:44pm
post #9 of 15

I have a 6qt also. I absolutely love it! I can't imagine making fondant with a smaller mixer, it's quite a load. I make double batches of frosting also with no problems. I only have one bowl and would love to have another but I think they are around $50. I bought my KA on the KA site. It was cheep because it was a refurbished model. It's never given me any problems.

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 9:00pm
post #10 of 15

I have a Kitchen Aid tilt head 51/2 Quarts had it for two years now and it works great for me got it from Macy's on sale for $199

momba5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momba5 Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 9:56pm
post #11 of 15

thanks for the advice. It sounds I can't go wrong with any of them. Probably go with the 6 quart.
Thanks!

sugarMomma Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 2:12pm
post #12 of 15

Yeah, I guess if I had to choose between the two for power and volume, the 6 Qt. is the way to go. Especially for making fondant, which I don't do often but find I am about to have to since not enough time to order it. The motor is definitely more equipped for that than the Artisan.

Lately I have not had much time for large cakes and find myself doing small jobs with the Artisan, because it's easier. And I like not having to remove the paddle to remove the bowl like you do on the bowl lift. With a tilt head I can scrape whatevers on the paddle right into the bowl and leave it there.

I love them both, but for different reasons. Guess it depends on what you will be using it for. Glad to hear they are making a small bowl and paddle for the 6 Qt. and would recommend that as an extra bowl if you are ever going to whip a small amount of liquid, it whips better in a smaller bowl.

teachingmyself Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
teachingmyself Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 2:34pm
post #13 of 15

Thanks for posting this question momba, I too am in the market for a mixer. Thanks everyone for their info, I believe I will be purchasing the 6qt KA. Happy mixing everyone!

Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 2:41pm
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edit

I'm very satisfied with my 6qt mixer. You might want to buy an extra bowl and beater with it, too.

I agree. I can't say enough good things about my 6QT KA mixer. The Artisan was good to start off with but I'm always doubling and tripling recipes so I had to upgrade. I think that the 6Qt is priceless!! The extra bowl/whip combo, which you can purchase at William-Sonoma or at the KA website, makes recipes in which you have to whip egg whites or whipped cream a snap!

Good Luck!

alidpayne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alidpayne Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 12:56am
post #15 of 15

I LOVE my 6qt. You should definitely buy an extra bowl though. I love the bowl lift much better than the tilt head on the other models. Check out Amazon, I got mine there for a great deal. Make sure you check the price on different colors too. Mine was over $100 cheaper just because it was a less popular color!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%