Which Icing Works Best In The Texas Heat?

Baking By SassySweetz Updated 15 Aug 2009 , 10:16pm by SassySweetz

SassySweetz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SassySweetz Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 4:26pm
post #1 of 5

Which holds up better in the hot Texas heat?

Antonia74's Royal Icing or Toba Garrett's Glace? Which is better for stacking?

Opinions needed on both icings. I will be icing cookies today for tomorrow.

Thanks ladies, ya'll rock!

Ashley

4 replies
Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 2:20pm
post #2 of 5

Not sure about heat and never use glace icing on my cookies before but i do use Antonia's icing all the time and it works great and dries hard enough so i don't have a problem when they are stacked as long as you give them enough time to make sure they fully dry as you would with any other icing on your cookies

HTH

chefjulie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjulie Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 2:37pm
post #3 of 5

I use Toba's all the time, but if you need it by tomorrow, you almost certainly wont have the time you need for it to dry. (If you have a heat lamp, that may help speed the drying process). I usually wait at least 18 hours between "layers" of glace.

Antonia's will certainly allow you to decorate faster, but even it may still be too soft to stack by tomorrow.

That Texas humidity is hell on decorating!!

Both are completely fine in the heat when they've had plenty of drying time. I've never had an issue with melting or colors running.

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 2:38pm
post #4 of 5

I would probably go with the royal icing if you're in west Texas or San Antonio where we've had NO rain this summer. I think moisture affects royal icing far more than heat does so as long as your location is dry you'll probably be just fine with royal icing.

SassySweetz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SassySweetz Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 10:16pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks ladies! I ended up going with RI and let them dry for 14 hrs. before stacking. They were out in the hot sun all day at a bake sale. They did just perfect. They didn't melt, sweat or anything.

Thanks again....

Ashley!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%