How Much For Mileage?

Decorating By dandelion56602 Updated 16 Aug 2009 , 2:25pm by dandelion56602

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 5:34am
post #1 of 4

I'm wondering what you guys charge for mileage when delivering cakes? I was asked about delivering a cake 94 miles away. Is there a govt chart that says how much you can charge? Just wondering

3 replies
xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 5:41am
post #2 of 4

Yes there is a chart but I believe that covers the gas, wear and tear and depreciation of the vehicle, not your time, so you'll want to add some more for your travelling time as well. I would at the very minimum double the rate listed (which is $0.55 for 2009 per mile). Don't forget to add the return miles as you do still have to get home.

http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=200505,00.html

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 12:00pm
post #3 of 4

$1.25 per round trip mile. Covers gas, oil, wear and tear, my/employee time (94 miles one way = 184 round trip miles = over 3 hours pay for whoever is driving that deliver vehicle), insurance on the vehicle, interest on the loan required to buy a vehicle to enable you to offer the delivery service for your customer, lost opportunity costs (if you're in the van delivering a cake, then you're NOT in the shop making a cake that will make you money), accounting expenses to take care of the payroll for the employee doing the driving ..... all of those business expenses are involved when you are "just driving a cake" somewhere.

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 2:25pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks sooo much ladies. She did decide she'll make the drive & pick up the cake! Thank goodness

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%