Wh. Choc Seashells From Molds...easiet Way To Make And Paint

Sugar Work By Kellbella Updated 9 Apr 2010 , 12:32am by jhay

Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 4:12am
post #1 of 8

I need to make some wh choc shells for a cake coming up soon and have never tired these before. Does anyone have a few quick tips and what's the best mold to use (silicone?). How do I add color/shimmer to make them look more natural? Should I dust with a dry brush or do the paint method and mix with liquid. I'm such a newbie any help would be fantastic.
TIA icon_lol.gif

7 replies
madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 4:29am
post #2 of 8

get candy molds....sea shells of course...craftstore will have them...place a pan of water simmering beneath another pan, and melt chocolate wafers....I add a bit of crisco for shine and to thin the chocolate....when its completely meleted and smooth put into molds....refrigerate until set and then turn over and tap and they come right out...you can paint with luster dust, I use a dab of vanilla on paint brush also to paint the shells

DiscoLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DiscoLady Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 4:46am
post #3 of 8

I swirled the bases with colored chocolates using a toothpick and paintbrush to make interesting patterns, then filled in the rest with white chocolate, tapped for air bubbles, refrigerated as required and after popping them out dusted them with luster dust...no extract necessary...
check out my photos for basket of seashells, it's in there someplace icon_smile.gif

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 4:56am
post #4 of 8

its not necessary to use extract to paint, but I like to blend the painting to look like the random design you can find on sea shells.

andpotts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andpotts Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 5:15am
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoLady

I swirled the bases with colored chocolates using a toothpick and paintbrush to make interesting patterns, then filled in the rest with white chocolate, tapped for air bubbles, refrigerated as required and after popping them out dusted them with luster dust...no extract necessary...
check out my photos for basket of seashells, it's in there someplace icon_smile.gif

This is exactly how I did the chocolate sea shells on my under the sea cake, worked perfectly, was fun trying different color combos for effect. Good luck!

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 12:17pm
post #6 of 8

I use both candy molds and silicone molds. If I'm using candy melts, I use white and paint with lustre dust dry. (I fill the molds and pop in the freezer for a few mins & pop out) I generally use fondant for the silicone molds; you get better detail and starfish can dry in more natural shapes.

You can get silicone molds at firstimpressionmolds.com. Globalsugarart carries their molds also. Or you can make your own from food-grade silicone. I'm by the beach, so I wanted to have molds of local shells; it was easy & fun!

Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 3:17pm
post #7 of 8

Wow, thanks for all the tips and I like the idea of swirling diff colors then adding the wh choc. I will definatley try that! Thanks again to everyone thumbs_up.gif

jhay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jhay Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 12:32am
post #8 of 8

when you're "swirling" colors, are you talking about gel colors or different colored chocolate, or something else?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%