Help! Possible Cake Disaster....

Decorating By ape74 Updated 14 Aug 2009 , 3:09am by ape74

ape74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ape74 Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 12:36am
post #1 of 6

Ok, so I was looking at a cake the other day and the creator posted how she made it. She said she substituted the coffee creamer in the cake in place of the water. I tried it today and the batter was very thick. My cake came out ok, I mean it did bake and all but it didn't rise. It may actually be a good thing but I'm just so used to seeing the hump. Perhaps I should have put in the required amount of water and just added the creamer as an extra right? What do you all think? Will this be a nasty cake? Should I have still added the water? With this said, is it still ok with what I did. I mean, do some of you actually do that? I did PM the person but she never responded. icon_sad.gif

5 replies
Toptier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Toptier Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 1:22am
post #2 of 6

Umm, did the recipe say liquid or powdered creamer?

ape74 Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 1:54am
post #3 of 6

It didn't, but by the name of the flavor, I figured it was liquid. I'm glad though, can you imagine if I had added powdered creamer? She also mentioned that she added the same to the buttercream, so it definitely has to be liquid. This really sucks because I have diabetes, so I can't taste it to see if it tastes funky or not, lol. I hope I didn't screw my son's bday cake. icon_sad.gif

ape74 Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 2:33am
post #4 of 6

I also noticed that the bottom of the cakes are not even. The middle is slightly dented. You know how sometimes the middle top of the cake falls in, that is how the bottom looks. Not completely in, but dented. Am I going to have to bake another cake? I just wish someone who has done this before would respond. icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 2:44am
post #5 of 6

Cakes don't rise as high with coffee creamer in them, at least not the ones I've made. They taste wonderful, though, and the firm texture is ideal for supporting fondant. It's also nice not to have to trim off a lot of cake trying to get rid of the hump.

When I've done it, the coffee creamer was instead of the water, not in addition to it.

I don't think the dent in the bottom will be a major problem, as long as the cake tested done when you took it out. You can fill in the dent with some frosting, or with a little cake trimming (the part that's on the bottom, against the cake board).

Anyhow, relax! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif Your cake will be fine. Maybe you could get your son or another family member to taste a little bit of it so you can get an opinion.

ape74 Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 3:09am
post #6 of 6

Thank you so much for responding and encouraging me! icon_smile.gif I feel so much better now. I know I did it right. I agree, it will be much better without having to trim a lot and the texture is firmer, almost brownie-like which I definitely love as I will be using fondant. I will also take your advice and put a little more icing on the cake that I will put on top, since it goes bottom up, you know. (sigh of relief, lol) Thanks again! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%