Natural Cocoa And Dutch Cocoa

Baking By dinie Updated 14 Aug 2009 , 4:22am by ceshell

dinie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dinie Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 7:13pm
post #1 of 3

What is the difference between the 2? Which is the best for Chocolate Buttercream

Diane

2 replies
PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 7:38pm
post #2 of 3

Dutch processed cocoa had been alkalized (lower acidity). In baking, this makes a difference, from a chemistry standpoint. It's also more soluble in liquids than natural cocoa (which makes it ideal for chocolate flavored drinks and sauces).

As far as using it strictly as a flavoring agent(as in buttercream)--without taking the solubility factor into account--it's reallu just a matter of preference. Dutched cocoa tends to have a milder (and some say smoother) flavor than natural cocoa. I say try both and see which you prefer.

I personally prefer make chocolate buttercream with melted chocolate as opposed to cocoa powder.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 4:22am
post #3 of 3

Dutch processed cocoa is soooooooo good in cakes! I threw out my can of Hershey's cocoa once I discovered it. I use it no matter what kind of cocoa the recipe calls for, although I might need to study up on other appropriate recipe alterations since the acidity is different, as PinkZiab mentioned.

ITA with the idea to use melted chocolate rather than cocoa powder for your bc, but if you have to use cocoa powder, use the good stuff icon_smile.gif. It's really cheap at amazon.com right now, because they are having a special til Aug 31: only 99c to ship a "grocery" order. Works out to about $4 per 8oz which is what you pay for Hershey's Dark anyway.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%