What Type Of Cake Do I Use If I Want To Use Fondant?

Decorating By catgirl Updated 13 Aug 2009 , 2:56pm by varika

catgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catgirl Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 3:53am
post #1 of 7

I took the three Wilton's cake decorating courses and only used cake mixes for my cakes. I am thinking about becoming more serious with my cake decorating and would like to know which type of cake will hold up fondant? I've heard that I shouldn't use sponge cake, and then I've heard that sponge cake is OK to use. I'm confused. Please help!!

6 replies
CakeandDazzle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeandDazzle Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 4:13am
post #2 of 7

Ive never picked out a recipe to use under fondant... i just use whatever... well i did until i found my go to recipes! i think anything will be fine (except maybe angel food cake??)

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 4:16am
post #3 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by catgirl

I took the three Wilton's cake decorating courses and only used cake mixes for my cakes. I am thinking about becoming more serious with my cake decorating and would like to know which type of cake will hold up fondant? I've heard that I shouldn't use sponge cake, and then I've heard that sponge cake is OK to use. I'm confused. Please help!!

Fondant is a little heavier than buttercream. You wouldn't want to use, say, angel food cake, if you're covering the whole thing with fondant, but 1) you can certainly be a serious decorator with buttercream or just fondant accents, and 2) a chiffon cake, being a bit denser, would probably hold up a bit better even being a sponge cake. I generally use what almond sour cream cake when I use fondant, but I also generally use fondant when I sculpt my cakes instead of using rounds, and the WASC has a much finer texture that makes carving it easier.

Just play around until you find what works! I know, "play" and "serious" don't sound like they belong together, but they really SO do when you're talking cake decorating!

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 6:28am
post #4 of 7

I also like using the WASC recipe (I use the original) and find it is very moist and dense. Your also not limited to just white cake or almond flavour either.

Here's the link to some of the WASC recipes on this site:
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Recipes&sort=recipename&sort_dir=ASC&op=search&chname=X&chingredients=X&searchtext=wasc&cat_id=-1&x=&y=

mannjc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mannjc Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 2:44pm
post #5 of 7

I love the texture of the grocery store cakes,they seem to be really dense with a very tight crumb. Does anyone have a recipe that is comparable to that? I generally use variations of the WASC but wanted to experiement with something new this weekend. Thanks for any help icon_smile.gif

mannjc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mannjc Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 2:54pm
post #6 of 7

oops! meant to post as new topic! havent had coffee yet icon_smile.gif

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 2:56pm
post #7 of 7

I use the Betty Crocker Starlight Yellow recipe from my Big Red cookbook. I'd share it here, but unfortunately, I'm away from home--house-sitting for my aunt--and have no access to it until I get home.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%