Help! Can I Use Butter In My Buttercream?

Decorating By Jessamarie22 Updated 15 Aug 2009 , 3:20am by madgeowens

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 1:34am
post #31 of 36

The how-to isn't adding butter a stick at a time, it recommends 1-2 T at a time. Not weird at all. Maybe you were just scanning the pics? icon_lol.gif

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 2:15am
post #32 of 36

Oh....lol, yeah I was looking at the pics! No, 1 to tbs is certainly not weird, that's what I do, but the pic of a whole stick of butter being thrown in was weird. icon_biggrin.gif

Karenreg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karenreg Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 1:26am
post #33 of 36

Hi all,

I just wanted to let you guys know that I tried the SMBC recipe from CC that Jamie recommended 2day,Turned out yummy,Just that I feel its not as white as I had expected ;-( & not too stiff either (Not runny either) Did I do something wrong , coz in the images shared by others it looked pretty white .

I was wondering if I can use this under fondant, coz it looks so much like whipping cream with a silky smooth texture?

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 1:53am
post #34 of 36

Mmmmm, yes, under fondant! So, not so white? Well, it is going to be naturally not white-white. Take into account all the butter, and vanilla if you use it. I tell people, it's going to be a varying degree of off white to ivory depending on the butter that day, or the amount of vanilla. And I refuse to put fake vanilla in anything. I have not yet had a complaint about this. Worth the sacrifice in my opinion, and I successfully convey this to people, apparently! Yay!

So, back off on the vanilla a bit, and perhaps stick to Land o Lakes, Challenge, or whatever other brand of good butter that's out there.

I chill my cakes pretty well before putting the fondant on. Makes it on smoother, and doesn't let the frosting squish out.

Karenreg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karenreg Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 2:01am
post #35 of 36

Tx Jamie for ur prompt response & helpful tips.I'll keep them in mind .I'd like to add that I used clear vanilla essence , So I guess its just the butter maybe. I usually use Land O lakes butter.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 3:20am
post #36 of 36

I use clear vanilla

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%