New To Decorating Cakes...

Decorating By Bethygirl Updated 13 Aug 2009 , 2:27am by JanH

Bethygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bethygirl Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 2:09am
post #1 of 4

What do you use under your cakes to transfer them or even work on them easier besides the spin table? and also what would you put between tiers of cakes if your not going for the gap in between them?

3 replies
LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 2:22am
post #2 of 4

Welcome to cc! You will be addicted soon, there is so much to learn.

I put my cakes on cardboard covered with freezer paper.
I always use a turntable to decorate the cakes.
When I stack cakes, I use cardboard covered in contact paper.
I assume you know you have to put supports in each tier that a cake will be sitting on.

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 2:24am
post #3 of 4

Welcome to CC Bethy, if you don't want to use a spin table you can use a lazy susan and you need to put a cake board between layers the trick here is to hide it with your BC. HTH

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 2:27am
post #4 of 4

Hi and Welcome to CC, Bethygirl. icon_smile.gif

Decoding CC acronyms:

Everything you need to know to make, decorate and assemble tiered/stacked/layer cakes:

The above superthread has popular CC recipes for crusting American buttercreams and several types of fondant as well as WASC cake (with flavor variations) - and so much more.

There is:

baking help/cake preparation (how much batter per pan by size), hints and tips (flower nails, bake-even strips, lower oven temp., making your own pan grease, etc.)

smoothing and stacking help

illustrations of common cake support systems with complete directions (tiered/stacked)

and more....

Get comfy, it's a long read. icon_lol.gif


P.S. Cakes are usually placed on cake boards for decorating:

Quote by @%username% on %date%